• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock Q8400 @ P5G41T-LX3 HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark009

is overclocking q8400 @ P5G41T-LX3 possible for more than 2.9GHZ?

i am trying to overclock this cpu in this mobo and the maximum i can get is 2.9ghz and beyond that is = bsod or overclock/overvoltage failure..

my specs is
processor : intel q8400 /w coolermaster hyper 212 plus fan
motherboard:asus P5G41T-LX3
ram: 2pcs 4gb ddr3 1333
psu: huntek 700 watts

my stable setting on bios is

Ai overclocking = manual
cpu freq = 360
dram freq = 1168mhz
pci express freq = auto
memvolt = 1.6v
nb volt = 1.25v
vit volt = 1.325
cpu vcore = +150mv
auto psi = disabled

raito cmos setting = auto
c1e support = disabled
max cpuid value limit = disabled
intel virtualization tech = disabled
cpu tm function = disabled
excute disable bit capability = disabled
intel speedstep = disabled

is there a chance that i can get higher that 2.9ghz which is stable?

Try giving a bit more NB voltage, try up to 1.3 and see if you can get it stable. As you increase your FSB the northbridge (on C2D/C2Q setups) has to work a bit harder.

Try giving a bit more NB voltage, try up to 1.3 and see if you can get it stable. As you increase your FSB the northbridge (on C2D/C2Q setups) has to work a bit harder.

you mean as i increase my FSB i will also increase my NB voltage? is that what you mean?

Yes, you will need to increase your NB voltage when you run into instability as you increase your FSB.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

I'd give the thread listed above a read, it is pretty indepth but chock full of good information.

i see. now i am getting the idea.. i will go back to try to overclock with my c2q..

for a while i will also try to read the thread that you give i think i will be a big help for me.. :) and thanks a lot.. i will tell post here my progress if ever there will be.. hehe!

I'm sure there will be, please keep us updated :)

i try to overclock my pc this morning.. yes there is a little improvement from 465 i now get a stable on 371 with 1.325 nb volt... now beyond 371 again it is equal to bsod... i can't raise my nb larger than 1.325 because it also = bsod.. haha! what else i can do to raise my fsb now.. :)

dark009 said:
little improvement from 465 i now get a stable on 371

from 465 what? Now stable 371. That would sound like a drop from 465 whatevers.

Default speed of the 8400 is 333 x 9 = 2997Ghz or right at 3000Mhz.

371 x 9 =3339Mhz and not too bad.

You need to post CPU-z screenshots of your stable clock. Also HWMonitor screenshot of voltages would be nice.

I think what he meant was from 365 to 371fsb instead of "465"

BTW, Q8400 has only 8x multipliers.

Anyway, that would be about the max fsb a G41 chipset would go.
Going higher? A G35, P35 or P45 chipset board would be best for higher FSB overclocking.

So, you can stop tinkering and adding any more voltages unneccessarily as hoping that it might go higher.

Last edited:
from 465 what? Now stable 371. That would sound like a drop from 465 whatevers.

Default speed of the 8400 is 333 x 9 = 2997Ghz or right at 3000Mhz.

371 x 9 =3339Mhz and not too bad.

You need to post CPU-z screenshots of your stable clock. Also HWMonitor screenshot of voltages would be nice.

oops sory its 365 to 371.. is typo.. and sadly the high multiplier of q8400 = 8
thats why it 371 x 8 = 2966 that now the stable oc of my core 2 quad 8400
here are the screenshots
[img=http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9549/cpuzi.th.jpg]
[img=http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4500/cpuz2o.th.jpg]
[img=http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9800/coretempfk.th.jpg]

ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Anyway, that would be about the max fsb a G41 chipset would go.
Going higher? A G35, P35 or P45 chipset board would be best for higher FSB overclocking.

So, you can stop tinkering and adding any more voltages unneccessarily as hoping that it might go higher.

I agree with that assessment after got my head back around the 8 multiplier. The G41 just does not have the cajones for extreme high buss speeds.

After re-reading the complete thread and finding links.

Nearly DDR1200 on the ram at 1T timings. 2T might go a little higher and less strain on the memory controller.

Vcore is showing only 1.27 and that is pretty low or at least it could be greater for maybe a little more than 371 x 8.

In one of your earlier posts you show Vcore at + 150mv and if you are using that for real then it is not enough "add" to Vcore to *possibly* go any further in your overclock. Your core temps do not seem to be very elevated if you are running HW monitor during your 15 or 30 minute testing with Prime 95 to both test and heat the cpu.

After re-reading the complete thread and finding links.

Nearly DDR1200 on the ram at 1T timings. 2T might go a little higher and less strain on the memory controller.

Vcore is showing only 1.27 and that is pretty low or at least it could be greater for maybe a little more than 371 x 8.

In one of your earlier posts you show Vcore at + 150mv and if you are using that for real then it is not enough "add" to Vcore to *possibly* go any further in your overclock. Your core temps do not seem to be very elevated if you are running HW monitor during your 15 or 30 minute testing with Prime 95 to both test and heat the cpu.

regarding the vcore.. even if i add +150 in the vcore.. still the 1.27 is the one that is being use by the motherboard is there any other way to change my core volatage aside from the vcore option in the bios?

about the p35 and p45 i dont have the budget to buy another set of mobo and ram hehehe!

Set your 371 back to stock 333. Then set Vcore back to AUTO. Then boot windows and open HWMonitor and see what Vcore is now showing.

Some of those cpus had a default voltage of approximately 1.1Vcore. If you now see something like 1.12 Volts in HWmonitor then adding 150mv to that would be about 1.12v +0.15 and that would equal the 1.27Vcore you have been seeing in HWmonitor and that means you caNNot add anymore Vcore to go faster. About it if that is the end of your Vcore adjustments in bios. All this would mean you are at the end of overclocking for more cpu mhz in general. You need more Vcore and there is no way to get bios to add more and " I " do not know of any software that would add Vcore.

371 fsb = 302MHz gain from stock ....I don't think you would need to add more voltage other than default.

Here is a trick if you really really want to gain more fsb from 371...(about 5 to 10 more fsb)
Adjust your PCI-E Frequency to 104 or 105

371 fsb = 302MHz gain from stock ....I don't think you would need to add more voltage other than default.

Here is a trick if you really really want to gain more fsb from 371...(about 5 to 10 more fsb)
Adjust your PCI-E Frequency to 104 or 105

ok i'll try it now.. :)

Hi Dark,

I saw your post when I was googling with trouble trying to overclock the same asus lx3 mobo.

You are actually luckier, my mobo will not even allow me that 150mv of overclock, so I am stuck at 1.12v!

And thats the reason that I am mailing you. Would you be kind enough to tell me the version of the bios that you were using when you were able to get 1.27v?

Thank You.

Back