• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with 800d build: Custom WC or ALL in one Setup (H100)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berserker44

Hi I'm a new member, but I'm not a Noob when it comes to Overclocking and water cooling.

I am at a fork in the road with my new corsair 800d build. I have all my components that I need for the build:

Corsair 800d case
Asus Maximus Extreme IV Z
17 2600k
16gb Kingston ram
1200 power supply
1 TB hard drive
some old graphics card I use for a place holder, still gets the job done

Now I need to start to plan the cooling. I am trying to decide whether to go all in one setup, for example the corsair 100h, or go with setting up a really nice single/dual loop water cooling system. I have had experience with both. my first haf 932 rig is currently setup with a build water-cooled system. I am using at this moment it's "good". I say good because I have a 920 at stock, but it still is at 40c at normal room temp.

In Your opinion what do you think is the best route? The corsair 80h and 100h seem like good systems, and the temps when over clocking are pretty good in the reviews. However a custom built system would look really nice, and give me room for water cooling other components. im really inspired by this guy's project: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...-Obsidian-800D-Liquid-Cooled-Dual-Loop-System However the 100h doesn't look "awesome" in the 800d case from what I've seen, while the custom setup would be rather expensive since I will be buying all the parts.

NOTE, I do not mind the time consuming process of custom water cooling, it's actually incredibly fun, and since I just graduate college, (and I have no job atm) I have plenty of time. Also I have not bought a graphics card yet. I really want to get into pc gaming, but never had the card. I've always been confused on what to get since cards are constantly being outdated by new cards. Any suggestions of what cards I could get? I was considering the 580's with the hydro FTW for my water cooling dual loop if I go the custom rout.

Other notes. I am a 3d artist animator, so I work with programs that require a lot of ram, and also I need as much (CPU) power as possible for rendering image and animations. with the processor/MB I believe I can get it to 4.8ghz, but I will need sufficient cooling. my current build is the i7 920, at 2.6 stock and my renders are a bit slow. I am looking mainly for performance!

Thank you for your time, and anything will help. Please tell me if I need to clarify or add info, thanks

Hmm plann to WC the 580 later? Then 12o x 4 is minium, do what the build log shows.

120x3x120x2 and great fans, Set for a long time.

You do the H100 and hear the GPU screaming on stock cooling. It is loud.

Go big if you got the $$. Quiet is your gain.

Hey thanks for the advice, really help me make some decisions with this project.

just real quick, do you have any suggestions on 120 fans for the rad?

Also I am new to graphic card. I know the 580 is one of the best out there atm, but it would be a considerable investment. Do you think it's worth the $1000-$1200+ for the sli setup? I was just wondering since cards are always being outdated.

Thank you again for the help, and I would greatly appreciate any input from anyone for my project

Two GTX 580's is overkill unless if you have 3 monitors. One GTX 580 with a massive overclock will play any game amazingly well at 1920x1080. Also two GTX 570's would be a much better deal for the money or watercooling a single GTX 590 or AMD 6990.

I don't know much about water cooling, but if I were to ever get in it (which I will) I would get these fans http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054 as they are cheap, 120x38 and have crazy CFM numbers. Get a fan controller though.

No, you don't want those fans, hehe.

The king for good quiet fans are Scythe GT's. Hard to find. Get the 1850 RPMs and slow them down.

I'd go with one 580, plenty. Your not an avid gamer.

Thanks guys! To be honest those ULTRA KAZE fans look very promising, thank you BigTerminator. Conumdrum, thanks for the advice on the fans too, however, I am not looking for a "silent setup". I will be living in a basement, being right next to a loud laundry room (yes laugh all you want, but im a unc graduate with no job and rent is crazy nowadays), so noise isn't my concern atm. I will have the fans at max for the best performance. noise might be a concern though so I may still purchase them.

I'm actually a very avid gamer! I've always been into pc games, but when it came to games to high demands I could never play them. I actually have been developing my own FPS using UDK (Unreal Development Kit) and the GPU has a huge impact on what can or can't do develop and test. while I have a dual monitor setup (samsung 27' 1920x1800) so the sli would really be nice. may go with the sli 570's.

Go SLI 570's, that's a much better deal. No one though really games with a dual monitor setup. You either game with one or game with three. Gaming on two looks bad and it cuts the vision in the center like the cross hairs. If you only game on one of those monitor's then a single GPU is fine enough.

Here is the issue with two 570s vs one monster card like the 590. Your going to WC, you need to buy TWO GPU blocks and an SLI fitting. Add up the cost of two 570s and two blocks and the SLI fitting.

The look at one 590 and one block. Cheaper? Bingo. And if you need more, you can always add another monster 590 down the road. With more raddage of course.

If your short on raddage, AFTER you do your DT homework, then yes, some 3000 RPM fans can really help the cooling. AND.... If the noise doesn't bother you, make sure you get the rads that respond well to lotsa noise, a high FPI rad. Sinneelabs.com and Martins site will give you the info on diff rads.

Please, do your raddage homework first.

Thanks for the heads up Conumdrum! Priot to your post I did take in consideration of one GPU compared to two lesser GPU's. i've been drooling over the 590 since it first released lol.

Concerning the Raddage, I agree. However I did do a little bit of research about High FPI rads, and it seems the fatass GTX extreme series seems to be a good route for now hehe. it seems they are a exceptionally well at high rpms, which I planned on putting them at. You guys will probably kill me, but I went with a gtx extreme 360,240....and a 120 lol. I plan to out the 120 on the fan port about the pci slots. Overkill, yes, Unnecessary, Yes, for now at least. I will be running two loops, and the extra 120 may give me options if the other two are enough. it as pretty cheap. I understand that more rads to not always equate to lower temperatures but the extra can't exactly hurt

Thank you for your opinions and warning. I did not mean to be disrespectful when I stated I did not prefer the fans and gtx 580.

If anyone one has anymore suggestions please feel free to help me out. thank you.

Naa, not at all, you seem to have your head on the right end of your body, so your really welcome here.

More rads than needed? Quiet. That much rad I would of gone for more quiet rads/fans.

You go buddy! Build it and post pics.

Back