• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CrystalCPUID howto

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

I tried finding a howto for crystalcpuid, specifically the multiplier management section but i couldn't find any anywhere on the web. Does anyone know a page that explains all the settings?

In the meantime I'm going to post what I found by trial and error:

For multiplier management:

To edit settings: File -> Multiplier management setting.

To enable management: Function -> Multiplier Management

There are three rows, Maximum, Middle, and Minimum (Max, Mid, Min). Each row has a bunch of selections for how the processor operates at that setting, all these settings can be customized

Multiplier (FID)" this is the cpu multiplier, multipliers with an (X) near them are unselectable as the CPU has locked them out, meaning you can't select those.

Voltage (VID)" this is the voltage going through the processor, again an (X) denotes an unelectable value.

Intreval Time: This is how quickly the setting is to change from one setting to the next. You don't want the changes happening too fast as your processor might not like it.

Up Threshold: At this percentage, the processor will ramp upwards from one setting to another (Min -> Mid) or (Mid -> Max). So lets say you set the min multiplier to 6 and the Mid to 8, and set the Up threshold at 30%, then when the core hits 30% utilization it will go from a cpu multiplier of 6 to that of 8. As long as the cpu utilization is less than 30% the cpu will never ramp up from Min to Mid.

Down Threshold: At this percentage, the processor will ramp downwards from one setting to another (Max -> Mid) or (Mid - > Min). So lets say you set the min multiplier to 6 and the Mid to 8, and set the Up the down threshold at 30%, then when the core hits 30% utilization it will go from a cpu multiplier of 8 to that of 6. As long as the utilization stays above 30%, the processor won't ramp down.

Switch Trigger: This lets you specify how you want the cpu % to be calculated. A setting of MAX makes it so that if CPUID detects the condition on any ONE core, it will react. For example, if you have a setting at 30%, and this setting set to MAX, then it will ramp up or down if either core 0, 1, 2, or 3 reach 30%. A setting of AVERAGE calculates the average of the 4 cores, so if you have the setting at 30% and core 0 is at 100% and the rest of the cores are at 0, it won't trigger since the average of the 4 cores is 25%. The rest of the settings pertain to specific individual cores, you can set it to watch ONLY certain cores.

Exit Mode: Say you turn off multiplier management, this setting lets you set the mode that it leaves the processor when multiplier management. Do you want it at Max? Mid? Min? after Multiplier management is shut off?

"Up" and "down": marked with Mid-> Mid -> Max and Min/Mid -> Max. These settings allow you to eliminate the 3rd step and basically switch between two steps instead of three. So you can go from Min straight to max, or from max straight to mid.

Last edited:
i woud like to point out that interval time is more of a user thing than the computer thing.
the switching occurs in milisecond (or less) and it wouldnt make much differecne to the processor. because the change itself still happens in miliseconds to the processor.
Only stopping all changes would stop all changes (so to speak)

with a longer interval, a quick blip of cpu consumption might not be reacted to at all, the assumption that the workload is just small, and unnessisary to overreact to.
and a quick pause in consumption , would not step it down, with a longer interval it can be set to anticipate more load possible later (so to speak).

we have used this stuff to create a "better" stepping "curve" like:
Stay stepped up longer because i might be needing the cpu again, no use stepping down just yet
and
Step up immediataly, if there is a load
and
step up at a lower level , when a workload is spread across processors/cores, but is minimal
and
why the heck arent you stepping up when i have heavy hard disk data movements occuring

so i would create a curve that jumps up quicker, goes back down slower, , stays up with minimal cpu load, and jumps up even when it was only a load of moving data about. Skips the inbetweens, i am either wanting speed or wanting idle, it is not a laptop :)

i concluded that it didnt make much difference in normal uses, some benchmarks will read a tiny bit higher by keeping the stepping up, but A) they were only benchmarks B) serious benching would just lock it all high and never have a lower idle, or use stepping.

so i finnaly got the User control of stepping that i thought was missing. i could manually adjust exactally how it would step. and concluded, they had that stuff worked out pretty well :) without me messing with it. (intel dang they are good :)
The most i ever got from changing it to my opinion preferred user setting was around .3% . Stepping aparentally happens very very fast, even though the displays we see showing it are slow.

Last edited:
Back