• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flight simulator X build Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scotty21

Registered
Ok here is my system as I speak

Cooler Master 500 PSU
Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53 OC'd to 3.13GHz with coolermaster Cooler
PNY Nvidia Geforce 550Ti 1gb Gddr5 Graphics card enthusiast Edition
4 gb Supertalent RAM
Lightscribe IDE cd-dvd rom
500 Gb SATA HDD
Windows 7 Pro

I am mainly running this pc for MY Flight simulator. my graphics is great but it stutters still but not bad at all. I was told to upgrade my ram and CPU so I get smooth graphics and noticed that If i am flying a learjet that I reach a destination, hit P for pause and notice that my scenery takes like thirty seconds before it is fully rendered and loaded. hdd light is hardly on too. so I am looking to upgrade to G skill ram 4 gb as well as get an intel e8400 duo core processor.

Will this help? or should I get a q8200 quad core
thank you

That won't make much difference. Get a Q6600. Even still, FSX is surprisingly demanding if you want to max things out. I can get like 100FPS now with the latest Nvidia driver with a 2600K and a GTX 580 and 8GB of RAM with everything maxed. It performs significantly better on that than it did on an i7 950 with a 6870. Before that I was running it on an 8800GTS and 2GB of RAM with an E6550.

E6550 8800GTS 2GB DDR2

950 6870 6GB DDR3

2600K 580 8GB DDR3

Your GPU should be sufficient. It's not written efficiently for today's hardware anyways.
It takes advantage of 8+ threads and right now it has 2 to work with on your machine so get a core 2 quad for cheap. Or build a new system if you want. 4GB of RAM is more than enough. Remember it's from 2006.

Last edited:
Back