• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I am confused GTX 570 or 2 ATI 6850's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mhypertext

ok so from what i have seen two 6850 are about the same price and out perform a single 570. I am trying to gear p for BF3 and hate system and video lag. what are your guys thoughts on this..........

They do sell a 6870x2 card. It's like the 6990 except with 2 6870's. Power Color makes it. The performance is on par for crossfire 6870's. Performance is also much better than a GTX 480 so maybe you would want to go that route. It is $400+ which is more expensive then two 6850's. A 6970 or a GTX 570 should play BF3 well enough. Game isn't out yet but in the Alpha I was getting around 45-50 fps and that's with drivers not optimized for the game and the game being an Alpha.

What resolution do you play games at is the big question...

Anything 1920x1080 and down a 570 will play well, including BF3. Im from the camp of if you are at 1920x1080, stick with a single higher end card. Less power consumption, heat, and hassle.

If your signature is still accurate, I would also make sure I got a quad core as BF3 will use as many cores as you can throw at it.

I would always favor the single card option in this case, with the idea that you can add another down the line. The performance difference overall doesn't make the xfire option appealing to me. This is exactly why I chose the 570 over adding another 460. I think it has great longevity as a single card, let alone in SLI 2-3 years down the line.

One 6850 generates as much heat as the 570 idle, and they are very close at peak. You also save 70 watts with the single 570. And the OC potential is massive. You can push them pretty darn close to 580 real world performance levels. At that point, the difference is essentially zero.

BF3 will be released around the time that new graphics cards will arrive or come very soon after. I would wait and see what is available then, unless you have problems with a game you are currently playing (Or as excited as I am about the Beta!). Even if you end up going for an older generation at the time, it will still be cheaper than it is now.

The TDP between a 6850(127W) and a 570(219W) are not remotely close and there is only ~30W difference at load vs 2 6850's. ;)

I play at 1650. the pc in my sig is going to be old I am building a I7 1366.. I never wait till the next big thing comes out if i did tht i would never upgrade

1 570 is an awsome card! 2 is disgusting :D

Its a good thing you mentioned you were getting an i7, because even with my e8600 at 4500mhz the 570 chokes pretty hard. And thats just with Blackops.. It can get pretty laggy! :shock:

But with i7 it can breathe and manhandle the game like it was nothing :cool:

I cant imagine a e8400 at 4.5Ghz holding that card back... last tests showed that 3.4Ghz C2D didnt hold a single 480 back...?

Sure its lag from teh GPU?

Don't build 1366!!! LGA 2011 will be out by the end of the year. Get Sandy Bridge or get LGA 2011. LGA 1366 is dead unless if you are getting a hexa core. Go single GTX 570 for 1680x1050. My 5770 played most of my games max at that resolution.

I cant imagine a e8400 at 4.5Ghz holding that card back... last tests showed that 3.4Ghz C2D didnt hold a single 480 back...?

Sure its lag from teh GPU?

Im not sure where its comeing from to be honest :confused:

Blackops chugs on this c2d with either a 465 or 570 :rain:

Runs minty on my i7 at stock setting maxed out..

I even gave the machine a pagefile to work with just in case :D

This machine has a fresh V 64 install on it, I could put 7 on it but ugh..

Platter drives = yuck

Edit:

Well, I turned AA and anisiotrpic filtering, as well as draw distance down, and its not nearly as bad as before. Kinda weird because on my i7 I can just turn those up and not think about it after :shrug:

Last edited:
I never build the lastest greatest so i wont be building a sandy bridge or a 2011..
an I7 1366 will just fine for BF3 and take prolly 3 years after that before i need to upgrade again.

Sandy Bridge is around the same costs and overclocks to 5ghz. If you are stuck on LGA 1366, go to Microcenter, they have i7 950's for around $200.

i am sorry to say i dont overclock anymore lol so assuming i am running stock speeds is 1366 and a sandy the same performance wise i already have a 1366 board

If you are not going to overclock, price out a i7 2600 (not k). And a cheap z68 based mobo.

Sb is faster than s1366 and its chips are clocked higher on top of that. Since u have a 1366 board already though, either sell it or be plenty happy with s1366. Its certainly not slow.

sigh i will prolly sell it and take loss its an X58A-UD3R its still sells for 209.00 on the egg.

Back