• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you could do anything you wanted with an Alienware M11x-R3 ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
... what would you do?

Courtesy of Dell, I have in my hands an Alienware M11x-R3. In fact, I'm posting from it. If you wanted to know anything about it, check any spec., run any benchmark, what would you have me do? A review is forthcoming (where I'll check the usual things) but I'd like to hear what the forum members would be interested in finding out...

Attachments

• M11X-R3.jpg
    M11X-R3.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 2,316
If you just plug in some headphones, preferably sealing ear buds, how quiet is it with nothing playing?

What I mean to say is, how quiet is the headphone out with nothing playing? Do you hear noises, cracks, popples, etc?

I would have you do the typical run through. that laptop is built for gaming/high end activities, so benchmark it with the benches we use to test GPU's... That is what I would like to see most. :)

I wouldn't exactly say the m11x is built for high end activities but I am curious on the build quality. So far the m18x has been a joy to own.

I would like to know...

The design of the hinges and the surrounding material that prevents the hinges from tearing out of the back of the laptop. (this has been the ultimate death of 2 laptops I owned and used for 5+ years). Fixing them meant replacing the chassis which was not worth it.

The screen viewing angle (do certain colors fade in or out depending on your viewing angle?)

A nice full shot of the keyboard layout, noting any keys that seem out of place compared to a standard keyboard.

How hot the laptop can get running various activities with partial or full vent blockage... Also measure the temperature during various activities while 1. On your lap, 2. sitting on a bed.

At what temperatures do the fans kick on, do they come on with a loud spinup and burst of air or can you barely notice when they turn on?

When the laptop is running hot and the fans are running, how hot is the temperature of the air the vents are expelling compared to room temp? A hot exhaust is one indication of an efficient cooling design.

Measure the glare of the screen when trying to use outside on a sunny day (is it usable at all?)

Can the laptop handle a small beverage spill? I noticed that one of my laptops I owned, the bottom of the keyboard was completely sealed and kinda acted like a spill tray preventing small spills from reaching the motherboard.

Can the laptop survive a tumble down the stairs? Can it handle a 3 foot drop onto concrete with minimal damage? (Both of these things have happened to me and in both cases the laptops survived) though the drop on the concrete did cause some dino damage, the structural integrity of the chassis was not compromised.

Does the webcam have a light that turns on when the webcam turns on?

Assuming the laptop is sitting on a table, can you open the lid/screen with just one hand?

What is the frequency range of the speakers? What is the lowest bass the laptop can produce? Is there distortion at full volume? How loud does it get?

Get some pics of all sides so we can see what ports it has and how they are positioned?

How many external monitors can the laptop support? Can you still use the laptop screen as a monitor with an external monitor connected or do you have to choose one or the other?

Does the power brick have any built-in cable management features? The dell laptops I owned all had power bricks that allowed the cables to be neatly wrapped around them and secured with a rubber strap. This really extended the life of the cables connected to the power brick IMO because I could wrap up the cables the same way every time reducing the number of bends and twists in the cables over their lifetime.

and anyone not understanding the dino damage refrence....

Last edited:
Full 1920x1080 HD playback. also to a HDMI out if it has one.

Play Crisis on it in in native res.

Copy 2gig of files to it, 1gig of small ones, 1gig single file, using 2 of the possible methods to get data on it.

If you just plug in some headphones, preferably sealing ear buds, how quiet is it with nothing playing?

What I mean to say is, how quiet is the headphone out with nothing playing? Do you hear noises, cracks, popples, etc?

Good idea - my previous laptop made odd noises through the headphones even when I had nothing playing whenever the adjacent USB port was active... I'll give this a shot.

I would have you do the typical run through. that laptop is built for gaming/high end activities, so benchmark it with the benches we use to test GPU's... That is what I would like to see most. :)

Absolutely - I'll see what sort of scores I can get out of it, and see how far I can push the settings in some games.

I wouldn't exactly say the m11x is built for high end activities but I am curious on the build quality. So far the m18x has been a joy to own.

Yes, build quality is a big issue for me too - which is why I bought a Thinkpad W510 last year :cool:.

I would like to know...

The design of the hinges and the surrounding material that prevents the hinges from tearing out of the back of the laptop. (this has been the ultimate death of 2 laptops I owned and used for 5+ years). Fixing them meant replacing the chassis which was not worth it.

The screen viewing angle (do certain colors fade in or out depending on your viewing angle?)

A nice full shot of the keyboard layout, noting any keys that seem out of place compared to a standard keyboard.

How hot the laptop can get running various activities with partial or full vent blockage... Also measure the temperature during various activities while 1. On your lap, 2. sitting on a bed.

At what temperatures do the fans kick on, do they come on with a loud spinup and burst of air or can you barely notice when they turn on?

When the laptop is running hot and the fans are running, how hot is the temperature of the air the vents are expelling compared to room temp? A hot exhaust is one indication of an efficient cooling design.

Measure the glare of the screen when trying to use outside on a sunny day (is it usable at all?)

Can the laptop handle a small beverage spill? I noticed that one of my laptops I owned, the bottom of the keyboard was completely sealed and kinda acted like a spill tray preventing small spills from reaching the motherboard.

Can the laptop survive a tumble down the stairs? Can it handle a 3 foot drop onto concrete with minimal damage? (Both of these things have happened to me and in both cases the laptops survived) though the drop on the concrete did cause some dino damage, the structural integrity of the chassis was not compromised.

Assuming the laptop is sitting on a table, can you open the lid/screen with just one hand?

What is the frequency range of the speakers? What is the lowest bass the laptop can produce? Is there distortion at full volume? How loud does it get?

Get some pics of all sides so we can see what ports it has and how they are positioned?

How many external monitors can the laptop support? Can you still use the laptop screen as a monitor with an external monitor connected or do you have to choose one or the other?

Does the power brick have any built-in cable management features? The dell laptops I owned all had power bricks that allowed the cables to be neatly wrapped around them and secured with a rubber strap. This really extended the life of the cables connected to the power brick IMO because I could wrap up the cables the same way every time reducing the number of bends and twists in the cables over their lifetime.

and anyone not understanding the dino damage refrence....

Whoa .... this post is excellent! I'll look into all of these things, aside from pouring liquids on it and dropping it... my Dell contact may not like those ideas :eek:.

(Although, I'm sipping a whisky as I write this ... but I wouldn't waste good whisky on spill-testing a laptop :))

Copy 2gig of files to it, 1gig of small ones, 1gig single file, using 2 of the possible methods to get data on it.

Yes, I will give this a shot - I have a 1080p TV and a 1920x1080 monitor that will do the job nicely.

Crysis is also a good shout, and the file transfers might be an interesting test (this is a model with SSD).

Thanks for the excellent suggestions guys - keep them coming. This is exactly the sort of input I was looking for. This will be the first Overclockers.com laptop review so I'm keen to try and cover the angles that other sites might not.

Whoa .... this post is excellent!
Ty, most of these questions come from my experience of modding and overclocking laptops, and while i've temporarily abandoned that hobby for other projects, most all of those questions I have listed I have noticed or had to deal with during my adventures. Re-living those memories almost want me to hack up this work laptop *must resist... urge* haha

How many screws can you take out before the laptop feels "flimsy"?

And... The largest question of all...

When you start taking this laptop apart, are there 20 million different size and thread of screw? Will I need to take pictures of each layer as I disassemble the laptop, Print each photo and punch the screws through the paper where they go? OR... can I just take all the screws out and carefree just toss them into a single bin because there's just 1 type of screw...

I have actually disassembled 2 old laptops and tried to mentally memorize where all the different size screws go and upon reassembly given up because I could not remember which screw goes where. (you would have thought I would have learned my lesson the first time haha)

Do they do any evil things to prevent complete disassembly Such as EPOXY to hold stuff in place or those infamous "warrant void if tampered" stickers?

Last edited:
^^ yes if it is possible for you to do a basic pull down your opinion on how easy or hard to accomplish that would be nice especially ease of access to the fan/heatsink for cleaning.

I would also be interested in what the "new out of box" temperatures you are getting compared to undervolted if possible and the improvement in battery life.

Done.

Done, mostly.

Done.

^^ yes if it is possible for you to do a basic pull down your opinion on how easy or hard to accomplish that would be nice especially ease of access to the fan/heatsink for cleaning.

I would also be interested in what the "new out of box" temperatures you are getting compared to undervolted if possible and the improvement in battery life.

I wish I could gut it but I'm expressly prohibited from doing so :(

I would like to know...

Done.

Done.

Done.

Todo.

Done.

Crap, forgot the thermometer. Oops.

Sort of done. We don't get sun in Scotland :p

Can't test this. Damn Dell :)

Done and done.

Todo.

Done.

Todo.

Todo.

Todo, todo and todo.

I'm also interested in Alienware laptops. Particularly this model and the 14inch model. I like laptops small and as powerful as can be and it looks like alienware is the only one out there now that can put out such laptops at a not-so high price...

Definitely let us know how it handles Deus Ex 3 :)

When sitting outside in the sun, does the keyboard get ridiculously hot? My 6910p gets SCORCHING hot in the sun. 100F ambients really test a laptop's cooling ability.

I'm suspicious I'd get more for more $$$ than a comparable laptop that doesn't have an Alienware logo slapped on it. I'm looking forward to your review to see if more is actually more.

been a while since i checked on this thread...

o_O holy cow your on a roll! This is going to be the best laptop review evar!

Don't know about the "best review ever" but I'm hoping I can try to catch some of the things that other reviews haven't. I just need to find a couple of hours and batter through the rest of the writing.

Have you ever owned one? Or are you another biased opinion based off other people's biased opinions who have also never owned one?

yes I have one
the gpu when bad
I sent it back to dell and they put a new one in it
after 3min the new one went bad and smoke can out the back
I tried to send it back for more work but they would not take it
the warranty was going to expire in one week and they sad by the time they get it, it would be up :bang head
since they would not fix it, I opened it up my self

:facepalm: there was melted plastic all over the gpu and some chips where melted

I should have never got the piece of over priced junk
it still works but I have to use the Intel gpu, works fine for a home sever tho

don't get me wrong, if it was priced better or was made a little better I'd love it

Last edited:
Back