• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stock i7 running at high clock speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mastermaggan

Dear overclockers!

I have a question about my intel i7-860 processor. It's stock frequency is 2,8 Ghz and I have never overclocked it. However it's constantly running at around 3,3 Ghz. I understand that this is possible due to the intel turbo-boost system but it's running at these speeds even when it's hardly being used. The attached picture is a screenshot from Cpu-z showing the processor running at 3,3 Ghz allthough Cpu-z is the only active program on the computer. The task manager reports of a Cpu-usage of 0-1 % at the time when the screenshot was taken.

http://imageshack.us

Is this normal? Should it be like this?
The reason that i'm wondering is because I want my computer to be more silent. A processor that is running att these speeds even when the computer is idle doesen't seem right. I thought that a cpu should be running at low speeds when it isn't being used to reduce power consumption, heat and possible noice from the cooler.

Any help would be appreciated!
My apologies for incorrect language. I am from Sweden.

Where did you get the mobo this cpu is running in? if you bought it from someone its possible that there's saved overclock settings on it and they somehow got loaded

OnDborder: Thank you very much!:) The motherboard is a msi MS-7613 with 8 gigs of ram running at 1333 Mhz. The graphics card is a nvidia gtx 260. I bought the computer new (it's a hp) and the options in the BIOS is locked, hovewer they state that the cpu should be running at 2,8 Ghz(stock speed).

vdgamer: The computer was brand new when I bought it and since it is an ordinary hp it shouldn't be overclocked i suppose

Your CPU should idle at 1200 Mhz 9x133
and load turbo boost at 3458 Mhz 25x133
Some one played with bios settings :)

But since i haven't and nobody else has access to my computer it shouldn't be possible. Could it be malfunctioning program/error or a virus.

Would a reinstallation of the OS be sufficient to fix this problem or is a reset of the CMOSsettings inevitable?

no idea really i never bought a computer from HP .

Yes clear Cmos setting or just get in the bios and load optimized default , hit f10 to save and check again

Go into the Windows control panel and open up Power Options. You are probably set to High Performance right now. Try setting it to Power saver and see what it does.

Thank you muddoctor!! That solved the problem :-D

unfortunately the computer still makes lots of noice:/ But the cpu is running as it should:D

Back