• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE VR-Zone: Sandy Bridge-E to Ship Sans Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
vr-zone.com said:
we're hearing that although the rated TDP is 130W these beasts are consuming closer to 180W and that's without even overclocking them. In fact, according to PSU design guidance we've seen, Intel is telling power supply makers to make sure their Sandy Bridge-E PSUs can cope with a peak current of 23A on the 12V2 rail

Yea, probably a cost thing that made them decide to do that. Seeing as the standard cooler they have been supplying will certainly not keep those cool at even stock speeds.
Also those really nice heat-pipe style coolers are probably expensive.

But why not just up the price a little and ship them with the nice coolers rather than non at all.:screwy:

Last edited:
E is for Enthusiasts and we want top of the line coolers that fit our tastes, obviously to satisfy most enthusiasts the cooler would have to be equivalent of TRUE, and intel isnt about to ship their cpus with $60-$80 dollar heatsinks, and they figure most enthusiasts will get aftermarket heatsink they want regardless of how good stock heatsink is, and general public will probably stick with regular sandy bridge cpus for the most part

For a completely stock system, why waste the money on an aftermarket cooler other than to make it quieter? I don't have a single system that is using the stock heatsink (sans servers, of course), so I'm not affected by this change.

Although I'm sure we won't see any form of a discount in return for it. Doesn't affect me in the slightest though.

Best solution IMO would to ask major retailers such as Newegg/Microcenter/Fry's to offer the CPU and Intel cooler as a combo package for the same price as the CPU. Buy it if you want it, leave it if you don't.

Merged the existing thread with the frontpage thread. Sorry Evilsizer, I didn't check to see if this was posted yesterday. You're faster. :)

I guess this means that OEMs will have to outsource to another manufacturer for CPU coolers?

Merged the existing thread with the frontpage thread. Sorry Evilsizer, I didn't check to see if this was posted yesterday. You're faster. :)

He is the "Senior Fourm Spammer" after all...

Seriously, he goes on news posting sprees every now and then. You better check with him before posting any news stories :D

Back