• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking AMD N850 in a DV7-4171us

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bpoilspill

Registered
I've already overclocked the GPU with great results, now I'm looking to see if it's possible to overclock the CPU a bit. I understand the risks. I just can't find any info on this CPU. What should software should I use?

To find the PLL you will need to open up the laptop and look for the chip, unless you going to do this yourself your not going to get an answer here. Its very unlikely that anyone else on this forum has the same model laptop as you. Further good luck with that, hp has a tendency to lock the PLLs in there laptops because they do not want you to OC it. Ive got an elitebook with locked PLL so the only OC I was able to do was using a bios hack and it was barely worth doing.

That blows. I notice the lag with this 2.2GHz triple core AMD. Looks like my only option would be to upgrade.

This is what I have now:

AMD Phenom X2 Dual-Core N850 Tri-Core, 35W, 2.20-GHz with 1.5-MB L2
cache

This is what I think I should have:

AMD Phenom X2 Dual-Core N660 Dual-Core, 35W, 3.00-GHz with 2.0-MB L2
cache

Unless someone recommends something else. Heres the HP service manual for my laptop. PG 11 has all the compatible CPU's.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02642701.pdf

Lag doing what exactly? The better information you put up the better we can help.

Lag doing what exactly? The better information you put up the better we can help.

Eh, just noticing some slow downs occasionally when browsing internet, opening up multiple programs. I don't have much running in the background. I figure more MHz would benefit me than more cores, since most programs nowadays still don't really take advantage of multiple threads.

If your getting lag surfing the internet you have problems far beyond your CPU. You've clearly got alot more going on in the background than you think. Ive got a system with one of AMDs E350 dual core 1.6ghz setups and it sails when watching youtube, browsing, or any other typical task. You have alot more processor than that.

Id look at defragmenting the hard drive, clearing out temp files, dump the page file, run memtest, deactivate unneeded services, clean up your on startup list, and many other things before I could honestly suggest upgrading that CPU for this problem.

Edit, Also you probably need to clean out your heatsink. Laptops are terrible about collecting dust/fibers from the air. You MIGHT be experiencing thermal throttling.

If your getting lag surfing the internet you have problems far beyond your CPU. You've clearly got alot more going on in the background than you think. Ive got a system with one of AMDs E350 dual core 1.6ghz setups and it sails when watching youtube, browsing, or any other typical task. You have alot more processor than that.

Id look at defragmenting the hard drive, clearing out temp files, dump the page file, run memtest, deactivate unneeded services, clean up your on startup list, and many other things before I could honestly suggest upgrading that CPU for this problem.

Edit, Also you probably need to clean out your heatsink. Laptops are terrible about collecting dust/fibers from the air. You MIGHT be experiencing thermal throttling.

I definitely keep up on defrag and clearing out files. I have 5 startup programs. I use CCleaner every week and Defraggler when needed. I've already disabled some services. I shouldn't call it "lag" though. I'm probably just used to my 3.2GHz core 2 quad desktop. This laptop actually runs pretty cool, I never go above 65C, even on full load. Even with OC'ing the GPU it never goes above 73C.

Thats pretty tosty for an AMD chip BUT its stock and mobile so IDK. Could just be your perception of it, as you already pointed out. Not saying that you couldn't change the CPU, but unless you can acquire one at an exceptional price, id just keep the cash and save for a new system down the road.

Ah, let me rephrase what I said about the cooling part. I meant to say under full load CPU never gets above 65C and GPU 73C.

If you're brave, you might be able to try this:

Turion Power Control

According to the supported CPU series list yours should be able to be tweaked with that. The fact that it's a command line tool is a huge turnoff for me so I haven't used it in favour for k10stat (which might work as well now I think about it...) - I can't tell you much about it. Jut be very careful.

EDIT: Yea.. Keep a watchful eye your temps. AFAIK most laptops have shared cooling for CPU/GPU, so unless you're doing stresstests for both at the same time what temps you posted aren't the hottest you can possibly get.

Last edited:
If you're brave, you might be able to try this:

Turion Power Control

According to the supported CPU series list yours should be able to be tweaked with that. The fact that it's a command line tool is a huge turnoff for me so I haven't used it in favour for k10stat (which might work as well now I think about it...) - I can't tell you much about it. Jut be very careful.

EDIT: Yea.. Keep a watchful eye your temps. AFAIK most laptops have shared cooling for CPU/GPU, so unless you're doing stresstests for both at the same time what temps you posted aren't the hottest you can possibly get.

Bringing this back. I've been messing around with k10stat, and it seems I'm able to underclock/undervolt, however any increase in p0(2200MHz) will make it default back to it's p4 state(800MHz). It won't let me increase voltage either. Only voltage I can increase is the NB voltage. What are my options?

Back