• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC, what to choose.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cown

Hi guys.

I am currently looking to build a HTPC, since I'm tired of draging a 10 meter long cable from My PC to My television every time I want to watch a BD movie.

I've been looking at the following boards:
Asus AT5IONT-I
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_CPU_on_Board/AT5IONTI/

Asus E35M1-M PRO
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CPU_on_Board/E35M1M_PRO/

I am currently leaning towards the E35M1 since I think it's got the most features and seems to run better in general, with what I've read from reviews. It's also cheaper. If you guys got any other suggestions please add them, I have no clue what is hot or not when it comes to HTPC. I haven't had the need for such a build before and am pretty lost when it comes to onboard cpu's and graphics. The most important feature the board has to have is HDMI output with sound and video, capable of showing full HD (1080p). Features I'd like it to have are: WIFI, USB 3.0, Power efficiency would also be nice.

Other hardware I want to add:
PCI WIFI card
4Gb RAM
A nice case, something small and if possible, with mounting options (I want to mount it to the top of my drawer inside my tv table)
3-6 Tb harddrive (as silent as possible)
PSU (What would you recommend?)

Thanks in advance.

That's a very nice board, I think I'll take that instead, thanks alot :)

Any recommandations for a case and a PSU?

Well I've finally come to a decision, my new HTPC will consist of:

MOBO: ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 100Gb (I will buy the new Vertex 3 for my main and use the old one in the HTPC)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 3Tb
BD-R: Samsung DVD±RW/Blu-Ray Reader SH-B123L
CASE: Lian Li PC-Q11 Mini-ITX
PSU: Enermax Liberty 550Watt (Extra PSU currently in my main system.)

Back