• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Agility 3 SSD + UD3R Marvell 9128 = Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

06g35meister

Registered
Searched around and couldnt find anyone with my same exact problem, so im asking it here.

So last night i bought an agility 3 SSD without doing much research online, and got it home and formatted it through my existing windows 7 installation to be my boot drive. So i put in the upgrade disc i used for the initial windows 7 install and installed a fresh copy of it to the SSD. So it shut down and installed properly and finished fine.

Now when i boot with ONLY the SSD, it doesnt find the drive, i should mention IMPORTANTLY that it is currently plugged into the Marvell 9128 sata3 controller on the motherboard. So when i hit power, it comes up and sees the drive, but for some reason will not boot from it. When i plug in the HDD (raid array) it pops up after bios with BOTH windows 7 installations, when i go into the SSD installation its like not a single driver for ANYTHING is installed (no ethernet driver to install any other drivers) it only has the "safe mode" huge icons and everything is non-operable. Given the SSD OS is FREAKING FAST, but it still isnt exactly USEABLE.

So at this point i have not tried plugging into the sata 2 port and installing the drivers (which ones?) for the marvell then shutting down and plugging it into the marvell again to take advantage of the sata3 (is there one, some reports indicate it is actually SLOWER?). I will try this of course when i get home from work and post up results.

So in my research thus far i am getting three different common answers:
1) Install Marvell drivers from USB during windows fresh install (can i just do it in the "safe mode" OS as it sits?)
2) Avoid the Marvell like the plague and plug it into SATA2 port and move on without using the sata3 tech.
3)Install the windows achi driver and use those to control the Marvell controller.

So at this point i am at work, but would like to hear from people who have a working OS on a sata3 SSD booting on a UD3R or similar mb. or anyone with experience in this area.

Thanks for all the help, i know i can always rely on y'all!

*edit*
Computer is an i7 @ 4.2 GHz, UD3r, 3gb XMS3 ram, agility3 SSD, raid 0 1tb caviar blacks, 5850x2 in CF, windows 7 64 bit. Any other questions just ask.

Please let me know if this works out for you. I would like to do an SSD install in the future and I was going to attempt to do it the same way (as to not have to re-install all the programs currently on my HDD but have the OS boot from the SSD. I also have a Marvell Sata 3 controller as well on my ASUS motherboard and am slightly worried about issues with that. Regardless, this seems to be a fairly straightforward and easy install and if it works for you, it means I will not have to go back and reinstall all my programs from scratch. Thanks.

Please let me know if this works out for you. I would like to do an SSD install in the future and I was going to attempt to do it the same way (as to not have to re-install all the programs currently on my HDD but have the OS boot from the SSD. I also have a Marvell Sata 3 controller as well on my ASUS motherboard and am slightly worried about issues with that. Regardless, this seems to be a fairly straightforward and easy install and if it works for you, it means I will not have to go back and reinstall all my programs from scratch. Thanks.

You will run into a lot of problems with programs not working if you do that, plus it they won't load any faster. If you don't want to reinstall just image the HDD to the SSD.

You will run into a lot of problems with programs not working if you do that, plus it they won't load any faster. If you don't want to reinstall just image the HDD to the SSD.

Yeah, problem is that I had originally planned to do this and if I was smart I would have partitioned the drive when I installed cause I knew I would eventually upgrade to an SSD, but now I have so many programs installed that even if I go for a 120Gb, I still don't think I could cut the image down that small. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact the I'm going to have to re-install all of my programs when I eventually switch over.

Back