• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD in time for BF3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JPicasso

Registered
Hey all,

I'm putting together a workstation/game machine this fall and lo and behold, what a coincidence, BF3 is being released just days after I plan to have this put together. ( My wife will be thrilled! )

So I'm trying to figure out if AMD is going to have anything released by then or not, and should I just count AMD out of the running and plan on an i7 or i5 build. I've seen schedules where they release something bulldozery in Sept, but unknown to me if that's going to be the real deal or not.

Does anyone know what's in the near future for AMD CPU releases?
Thanks for any info
-JP

Nothing more than rumors of a mid-september release for Bulldozer, but we don't have any official numbers to go by as everything is still under a strict NDA.

In my opinion if they had something worth bragging about it would be getting some press coverage and there would be some marketing hype building up for how great the chip is. I haven't seen anything.

Nothing more than rumors of a mid-september release for Bulldozer, but we don't have any official numbers to go by as everything is still under a strict NDA.

In my opinion if they had something worth bragging about it would be getting some press coverage and there would be some marketing hype building up for how great the chip is. I haven't seen anything.

That's not always true. If you brag about performance numbers and such, then your competitors know how far they have to go to beat you.

Now just because I said that doesn't mean I think or know Amd will beat out intel with the release of BD, but I'm saying that just because we haven't seen solid evidence doesn't point to a poor product.

That's not always true. If you brag about performance numbers and such, then your competitors know how far they have to go to beat you.

Now just because I said that doesn't mean I think or know Amd will beat out intel with the release of BD, but I'm saying that just because we haven't seen solid evidence doesn't point to a poor product.

I can see that point and I really hope so - I'm not a fanboy for either side, I've had just as many AMD machines as I have had Intel...just the last 3 have all been Intel. And while that is true about them knowing how far they have to go to beat you, it would still be nice if they said it beats the current generation of processors in any number of normal benchmarks that would be great.

But yeah here's hoping for a generation of competitive processors from both sides to possibly keep prices a little lower.

Yeah, I'm hoping September also.

New Egg gets a box full of my money early October, it would be great if AMD had some competition for the i-Series, and even better if everything saw their price drop.

The Bulldozer chips supposedly are set to be released September 19th, I've seen a few sites saying they've heard the 26th, but the 19th seems like the plausible date. They'll def. be out before BF3.

As for performance, the BD supposedly beats the Sandy Bridges pretty handily and goes toe-to-toe with the Gulftown CPUs, with Gulftown pulling a slight edge over the BD.

I'm hearing that the Bulldozer FX-8120 (2.8 Ghz vers.) and the FX-8150 (3.6 Ghz) come out in September and the FX-8130 (3.2 Ghz) and FX-8170 (3.9 Ghz) come out in mid-late October. No need in waiting for the 8170 though as it is the same processor with just a stock clock that is 300mhz more. Kind of like the Phenom II 1090t vs. the 1100t.

Back