• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 4.0GHz OC - Opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meeps

So I finally got around to OCing my 930, and I've been playing with settings all day. I just stopped it from a prime95 blend run after an hour and a half only because I want to tweak things a bit before I let it go on a 12+ hour run over night/into tomorrow.

Settings I Changed
AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 21x
Intel SpeedStep Tech: Disabled
TurboMode: Disabled
BCLK Frequency: 191
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1531MHz
UCLK Frequency: 3063MHz
QPI Link Data Rate: Auto
CPU Voltage: 1.24375 (Anything under would BSOD)
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.20000
IOH Voltage: 1.10
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.65
Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
C1E Support: Disabled

How do these settings look? Should I change anything and/or tweak some other settings?

Temps were around 40-43C Idles and 71-75C Loads. Ambient was 27.6C.

That sounds about right, did you have hyperthreading turned on as well?

I would think you should be able to pop that up to 200mhz bclk with a little bit more VTT voltage and maybe a bit more vcore (you still have some room to move with that).

If you haven't given it a read, give this guide a shot:
http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

Oh yea I forgot to mention, HT is in fact on. And I'm more than content with 4.0ghz (if prime runs without problems into tomorrow afternoon), so I'd rather not go for higher.

Also, that's actually the guide that I followed (to an extent) aha.

My 100% stable 4Ghz was at

19x multi
211 bclk
1.3vcore
and then the cpu spectrum was bumped to 800Mv

memmroy timings were lossend off a smidge i think at 8 8 8 24
and a bit of a bump on memory voltage as well.

i was always under the impression that lower multi with higher bclk was better as it speeds up more than just the CPU. but i could be wrong.

i was getting temps of around 40 idel and 61 load, you will have slightly higher temps but your giant *** heat sink will probably yield something slightly higher

Play with those settings, my i7 930 got up to 4.5Ghz !

My 100% stable 4Ghz was at

19x multi
211 bclk
1.3vcore
and then the cpu spectrum was bumped to 800Mv

memmroy timings were lossend off a smidge i think at 8 8 8 24
and a bit of a bump on memory voltage as well.

i was always under the impression that lower multi with higher bclk was better as it speeds up more than just the CPU. but i could be wrong.

i was getting temps of around 40 idel and 61 load, you will have slightly higher temps but your giant *** heat sink will probably yield something slightly higher

Play with those settings, my i7 930 got up to 4.5Ghz !

curious, what does the cpu spectrum do? and i currently have mine bumped up to 1.25v because i woke up to a BSOD that happened about 7 hours. running prime95 blend and i'll check back after work

sorry i ment differentail amplitued to 800Mv it basicaly boosts the clock signal
http://www.overclock.net/8435147-post168.html

i know it isnt overclockers but it is a good base line to start from, there IS a great i7 overclocking guide on this forum i cant seem to find it tho *scratches head* i KNOW it is here somewhere though, it is what i went off when i first got my i7 chip.

Last edited:
sorry i ment differentail amplitued to 800Mv it basicaly boosts the clock signal
http://www.overclock.net/8435147-post168.html

i know it isnt overclockers but it is a good base line to start from, there IS a great i7 overclocking guide on this forum i cant seem to find it tho *scratches head* i KNOW it is here somewhere though, it is what i went off when i first got my i7 chip.

sweet link! i'll mimic his settings for 4ghz when i get home then start a blend test and hope it all works out. seems like he really knows this board.

That link just links to the one I posted in the first response (to the updated version) :p

Alright so I had it pass 8.5 hours of Prime95 blend earlier, and changed/checked settings and restarted a blend test that I'm hoping will go into tomorrow.

What are the benefits of running the large fft test? My ram is actually underclocked a tad. Also, I'll probably run a few hour stint of linX tomorrow just to make sure that doesn't dig up problems.

Back