• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need Help! Slow Internet :( Fast Computer! :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T.J

Registered
Hello everyone. I've moved back to my house and no longer at my cousins hosue. I still am having the same slow internet speed. I came across a small problem back at my house. Looking into the speed my internet, it is only 1 Mbps. So I can't really tell if my computer is working now or not. My speeds are still low being over my cousin's house and they do have better internet speed than me. At this point I can't tell if it their internet or my computer. I'll have to move to a different house and try it there to be sure if it is my computer or not.

Last edited:
You may want to post what browser you are using, internet provider and the type e.g. 128k, 256, dsl or cable. If it is a new system, you may just be having "pre-caching issues...meaning that the browser has not been to the site b4, and thus has to download all the pic's and links etc.... See if when you re-visit a particular site if it loads faster than one that you haven't been to...that will tell you if it is a browser caching issue, or your net speed is down.
I will assume that you have already been to speedtest.net and checked your speeds, and if all seems well, then it is browser related.
Hope this helps,
Doc

Speedtest.net

These are the speed results that I got.
Download Speed: 0.74mb/s
Upload Speed: 0.64mb/s
Ping: 35ms

I've done a speed test on my cousin's computer, with his computer being a lower grade than mine he still got better speeds. We are on the same internet as well.
Ping: 47
Download Speed: 10.56mbps
Upload Speed: 0.74mbps

Also I'm using Internet Explorer.

GPU: Radeon HD 6850 1GB Memory
MOBO: GIGABYTE P67A-UD3-b3
MEMORY: HyperX Kingston DDR3 8GB (2x4)
HDD: 500GB
SSD: 60GB (OS only)

When you say you are on the same internet as your cousin, do you mean the same provider or the same actual network? Also, what is your network setup? Do you go through a router or straight from the modem? Dial-up, cable, or DSL? You really need to post your entire network set up from internet connection to your PC.

Last edited:
The first thing that I would do would be to verify that you have the latest network card drivers for your motherboard. Even if you have the latest according to Windows Update, I would check your motherboard manufacturer's website, download and install the latest driver available from there.

Network Layout

Network starts at the main modem > router > modem > modem > router > my computer.

For my cousin's computer it's main modem > router > modem > modem > cousin's computer

Information: I was thinking of going off the same modem that he is going off. I did that at first, then I seen my internet was only running at 10.0 Mbps I put my router in and it changed to 100.0 Mbps. But I'm still having the problem of slow download speed and upload speed that I posted on my other reply.

I just looked to see the speed of my internet, and for some reason it says 10.0 Mbps again and I can't get it to change. This is the problem I started out with.

Are you on cable, or dsl?
Who your internet is provider would help...If you are on DSL, be advised that there several speeds that you can get according to the cost....example: A friend of mine and I had identical computers but his download speeds blow mine away, because he has cable, and I have DSL (and I have the cheapest dsl available,)

When you say "modem>modem>" do you mean hub>hub? Usually you only need one modem and 1 or two routers and maybe a hub with degraded results the more computers connected and downloading at the same time.

If you are only sharing the connection with 1 or two computers, then you don't need any more hubs, or modems....One router and some CAT5 cable can go for a long distance before the signal degrades.

Edit: Gonna leave it there because it looks so dumb. "who your internet is provider?" DOH! Edit:

Network starts at the main modem > router > modem > modem > router > my computer.

For my cousin's computer it's main modem > router > modem > modem > cousin's computer
I would try connecting back at the same place as your cousin if that is possible. If your speed increases then you have found the bottleneck. If not then I would start looking at your NIC.

Your network setup is extremely confusing. As Doc mentioned, could you confirm what exactly is going on with your network? The 'modem > router' part makes sense but having multiple modems after that and then another router?

Also, you said that your computer is reporting a connection speed of 10 Mbps, is that correct? You might want to check and see if one of these 'modems' is actually an older network hub or switch. If you aren't sure what types of devices these 'modems' are, could you at least get the brand name and model # of them?

Information

Sorry I misspoke myself on how the network was setup. I had to relook it all over. It is DSL.

Modem (Westell Model:E90-610014-06) > router (Cisco Model: WRT120N) > hub (GigaFastEthernet) > hub (Linksys 6-port workgroup Model: EWSHUB) > router (Belkin Model:F5D7230-4) > My computer.

I'm not 100% sure on what the speed of the internet is. I know the provider is Westell. The internet speed is pretty great, when all 6 computers are running on the internet, there is no lag or slower download speed for anyone just me. If everyone else turns off their computer, no internet bandwidth being used I still have bad download speed and upload speed. So I'm sure it isn't the internet speed. No one else is having problems just my computer.

I will be moving my computer back to my house soon, sometime this weekend. If I remember right, I had the same bad download speed and upload speed there too. I have to look into it when I go back.

Answer

Just curious, is there a reason you have multiple switches and two routers in your setup?

The house is cut into half so the main modem and first router are on a different side of the house that leads over to the other two hubs for the rest of the computers on the other side of the house. The last router is mine. I had to put it between the last hub and my computer to get my computer to go to 100.0 Mbps, but even now its back down to 10.0 Mbps and I can't get it to change back. Even when I had it at 100.0 Mbps I was still getting bad speeds.

If one of the network devices in the middle only runs at 10 Mbps max, then having a router or switch that is capable of 100 Mbps isn't going to help push any more speed through that pipe. If your network card is reporting that the speed drops form 10 to 100 and back and forth, I would suggest checking the network cable to make sure it isn't damaged. With that being said, I would have to guess that it is one of the other devices on the network that is causing your poor speeds, either your router, a switch or a hub. The best way to find out what the problem is would be to switch around some of the devices that your computer has to pass through until you find the one that makes your internet speeds total junk.

Also, how do you have your router (closest to your PC) connected to the network? You aren't using the WAN port, are you?

Answer

If one of the network devices in the middle only runs at 10 Mbps max, then having a router or switch that is capable of 100 Mbps isn't going to help push any more speed through that pipe.

I have been wondering if that would change the speed from 10 Mbps to 100 Mbps or not, thanks for that information. On the other hand, I'm guessing it isn't part of the routers, hubs or anything like that or everyone else would be effected, right? There are 3 other computers going off the same hub as my router and they all say they are running at 100 Mbps and are having great download/upload speeds. The only computer having problems is mine. So I would say it is something with my computer...only thing I can think of with no one else having problems.

If your network card is reporting that the speed drops form 10 to 100 and back and forth, I would suggest checking the network cable to make sure it isn't damaged.

I have looked into that, there is a cut on the cord and I can see the copper wires. Following up on that, I've been told if your running 10/100 there are only two wires in the whole cord that are being used. If you run 10/100/1000 then it uses all wires in the cord. I have a program (Realtek - Ethernet Diagnostic Utility) that says there are no brakes in the cord. So there must not be a problem with the wire that is being used. I have looked in to getting a new one and should be shortly anyways to run 10/100/1000.

Also, how do you have your router (closest to your PC) connected to the network? You aren't using the WAN port, are you?

I have a 50 ft cord (one with a broken wire) from the last hub that everyone else is going off of to my router and a 12 ft cord from my router to my PC. Yes, I'm using the WAN port that is an onbored port on the motherboard.

Trying: I'm going to try taking my router out and the 50 ft cord out, that way I can try plugging my computer right into the hub, hopefully it will show if it is the 50 ft cord or not making the problem.

The reason why I was asking about the WAN port is that the WAN port of some old routers are only rated for 10 Mbps while the other ports on the router are 10/100 Mbps. I would suggest turning off DHCP on your router (closest to your computer) and then just hooking up the long 50 foot run into one of the normal ports on the router along with your computer. Then it will basically act as a network switch.

Taking out router

I have just took out my router and the 50 ft cord to run off the same hub everyone else is running off of, bad news, still having problems. My speed is still running hat 10 Mbps. I try going into the setting and getting it to change to 100 but it wont change.

The reason why I was asking about the WAN port is that the WAN port of some old routers are only rated for 10 Mbps while the other ports on the router are 10/100 Mbps.

I know the router that I have is made for 10/100 because I've ran other computers off of it before this one. They were all running at 100 Mbps.

I'm going to make a new Thread about this, stating all the information so it's better to understand for those who are trying to help. :)

Starting a new thread with the same problem isn't really going to be helpful and it will end up merged with this one. Feel free to summarize things and edit your first post if you want to clarify things.

Back