• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mystery Pentium 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I was given a Pentium 4 3,2Ghz rig some months ago. The guy said that it had problems, but before we took it apart it was booted into Windows with no problems.

The rig was taken apart, and i left with mainboard, gfx card, ram, cables and psu.

I have now finally had a spare case to stuff it into, but since then, i have been unable to make the rig work.

It boots up, im able to get into Bios, and everything, but thats about it.

First boot, it didnt find HDD nor DVD drive, both running on IDE cables, as primary and slave. After being in bios, and then a restart of the pc, they showed up.

If i leave the pc to try and boot, normally a PC with a dvd drive and empty harddisk, would after boot sequence come up and say something and then alt + ctrl + del to restart.

This doesnt happen here. I can stick in OS cd nothing happens, remove everything, nothing happens, just a black screen where noting happens.

I removed the Bios battery, and reset the bios, set it up again, but still the same issue.

Any ideas, or is more info wanted?

Last edited:
I'd try flashing the bios firmware (even if it's just reflashing with the current version). It could be a corrupt bios, power issue, short on the motherbaord backplate against the motherboard somewhere, memory not seated properly, memory seated in the wrong slots, etc. Unfortunately none of the remaining possible causes are easy process of elimination items.

I'd also try running the ide drives as cable select (instead of assigning them as master/slave).

Last edited:
Back