• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RMA With Intel For Core-i7 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kitsune

Registered
I've been having a seemingly ongoing problem with my system for a while now, Constant BSOD's disabling my proper use of the system.

At first I narrowed the problem down to the Ram, which in this case WAS defective, so I had the RMA procedure with Scan, and they sent back a new pair, as they were tested faulty.

I re-installed Windows with the new Ram, and I again experienced BSOD's, I did further testing, and noticed that it was only when the ram was in Slot 5 on the motherboard that the Ram would fail. :confused:

I tested all 3 Ram sticks in slots 1 and 3, they all passed Memtest, leading me to think that it was the motherboard surely, So I had a longer RMA procedure with scan, This time they said that the motherboard was not faulty. :shock:

So I phoned Scan about how it was only when the Ram was in slot 5, it would come up with thousands of errors in Memtest, they said that the motherboard was fine in their test procedures, and they tested it TWICE. :shrug:

The guy had said that it would probably be the CPU's integrated memory controller, all ram slots lead to a different part of the CPU on the board, and that all Intel CPU's come with 3 years warranty, he suggested that I contact Intel for an RMA since I have not had the chip for 3 years.

My question is this, Will Intel be able to tell that I've overclocked this CPU?
If so, Can my chip still be replaced? :(

I don't think anything is stored on the chip itself, it's not like a "little black box" of what you did with it. Should be fine, just RMA it!

I don't think anything is stored on the chip itself, it's not like a "little black box" of what you did with it. Should be fine, just RMA it!

Oh, okay that's great then, thank you! That's taken a lot of weight from my shoulders, since I can't just bust out another £115 for another chip.

Do I just contact them about what's happened? :-/

Last edited:

Thanks, I did contact intel, but not through Live Chat, as they said:
"Sorry all of our Chat Agents are currently unavailable, please try again later or go to our support sites for further contact information."

So I phoned them, and they told me to run Intel Diagnostics Tool, and send the file to them, and also to take a note of the BSOD codes.

Shouldn't they have asked me to send the chip to them?

Back