• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD showing no free space in windows 7..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechtonicPC

Member, formerly Surfrat
I have an OCZ Vertex 2 that has never given me any issues, but tonight out of nowhere I got a low space message and when i clicked on the drive it showed 34 mb free. I quickly checked and there was nothing but the OS installed on it and no changes had been made that I could see.

I ran ccleaner and it found nothing but a few internet temp files.

I rebooted and it now shows with 8gb free, however this morning there was about 64gb free.

Any ideas or suggestions on where to start to correct this problem?

Turns out it has somehow gotten 64gb of stuff under the users folder and in a hidden file called "appdata". I have not had this issue before, does anyone know how to avoid /fix it?

Have you turned off System Restore and Hibernation on your Vertex 2. These 2 just keep growing and growing.

But even if you've turned off Hibernation Windows will still create a hiberfil.sys file in your root directory. To see this you need to turn on "Show hidden files, folders and drives" in Folder Options. Then look at your root directory. To completely turn off hibernation and delete the hiberfil.sys do this:

Start Menu -> Type cmd -> Right-Click the cmd Icon -> Run as Administrator -> Type powercfg -h off -> Hit ENTER -> Type exit -> Hit ENTER

The hiberfil.sys file will be deleted and you should be able to reclaim a few gigs of space. It's not recommended to use hibernation for a SSD anyway so you won't miss it.

Hope this helps.

Yes all of the standard stuff is off, hibernation, recycle bin, etc. It seems to be that hidden folder called appdata!

Could they be Temp files? Guess you'll just have to go into appdata and check the folders one by one to see which app is eating up your space.

Could they be Temp files? Guess you'll just have to go into appdata and check the folders one by one to see which app is eating up your space.

No idea, but 64gb of stuff, which def seems a bit extreme, especially since all of the programs were installed to a hdd.

I hit delete and the drive space has now jumped to 69gb free. I rebooted and lost all of my bookmarks and history for firefox, as well as my desktop icons, lol, but my drive space is back.

There is still 3+ gbs of stuff in that folder that would not delete.

Windows put all app data in its own appdata directory even if your apps are installed on your hdd. If you don't find the culprit (app) it will just eat up your space again.

The only two things I saw were a minecraft demo my son must have installed and some other game called robolux or something. I uninstalled them, but other then that my mezzmo trial had ended so maybe that could have been the culprit...shrug. mezzmo has never been issue in the past. I don't know.

If it happens again check the size of each folder in appdata to identify the culprit. If it is really mezzmo your problem is solved.

Back