• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire with Vertical G 1/4" fittings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zryder

Registered
I am attempting to run 2 full-block GPU covers to crossfire my 5850's. The only problem is, the covers have female G 1/4" ports on the top of the cards.

I would like to run these 2 in parallel if possible.

So, I was thinking about putting some bitspower metal T fittings on the first, with a male-to-male adapter underneath. One side of this T would be my compression fittings to the rest of the system, and the other side would be some D-plugs heading twards the 2nd GPU. The 2nd GPU would attach to the other side of the D-plugs, via a bitspower 90" adapter and a male-to-female spacer, to make the heights the same.

However, someone mentioned that if I am looking to get equal flow through both cards, I should use a "Y" and not a "T", as the y's will get more even flow.

If I understand my physics right, the flow will go to the port in the T with the least resistance. At first that would be the 1st gpu, and then when that pressurizes it would go to the 2nd gpu, oscelating rapidly for a few seconds untill everything equalizes, and things should be about equal.

Anything wrong with my logic, or are Y's really better for this situation?

if you really want equal pressure, the engineering solution is to put an sli fitting on both ports between the cards, cap the top, then inlet/outlet on the bottom of the bottom card. but really, that's overkill. feed either side that works for you and it will be so close in pressure the cards won't know the difference

if you really want equal pressure, the engineering solution is to put an sli fitting on both ports between the cards, cap the top, then inlet/outlet on the bottom of the bottom card. but really, that's overkill. feed either side that works for you and it will be so close in pressure the cards won't know the difference

do they make SLI fittings for top port covers? I thought SLI fittings were typically proprietary to the covers.

This is the cover I have, btw.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...t_info&cPath=59_971_240_576&products_id=26665

Yours is different in that the fittings point outward, not up and down, so in your case, 2 Y's is probably the way to go.

Instead of 4 blocks you could use t blocks and save yourself 2 stop fittings and do this

images

Instead of the spacer in between the two T blocks use an SLI fitting, you might have to shorten (cut) it to fit by a few mm. OR a better options is to use an adjustable sli connector

4 T blocks + 4 male to male adapters + 2 adjustable SLI fittings + 2 stop fittings + 2 of whatever fitting you're going to connect your tubing to and you're set.

Last edited:
Instead of 4 blocks you could use t blocks and save yourself 2 stop fittings and do this

images

Instead of the spacer in between the two T blocks use an SLI fitting, you might have to shorten (cut) it to fit by a few mm. OR a better options is to use an adjustable sli connector

4 T blocks + 4 male to male adapters + 2 adjustable SLI fittings + 2 stop fittings + 2 of whatever fitting you're going to connect your tubing to and you're set.

I think this is the way I am going to go. However, when I went to go mount my gpu cover on my GPU, I realized they were kind enough to send me an RMA thats not referance designed, so the cover won't fit.

Time to sell the 5850, and buy another... grr.

Back