• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell 520 CPU Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alfa

I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded a Dell 520. I found an old posting on Google where it was said to be possible to go with a 2GHz duo chip but I'm wondering I could go with a newer, faster chip.

Could you supply a more exact model number for the Dell, and post screenshot of CPUz's CPU, Mainboard, and SPD tabs?

So what do you think? What's the fastest CPU I can install? I'm running a 32 bit OS so I'm only going to install 3GB of RAM.

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,115
Not sure I could tell you, there's scant information on the processor in that (sisoft sandra?) report. I'm sure somewhere in that benchmarking software there's a more complete CPU specific report. "Centrino mobile" just isn't enough.

**okay, able to trace it using that Dell part number to a Dell Latitude D520. Basic cpu configuration was a Intel Core Duo (dual core), but did come in single core varieties:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd520/en/ug_en/specs.htm#wp1057468

"Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor, Intel Core Duo processor, Intel Core Solo processor, or Intel Celeron® M processor" up to 667mhz bus.

I would suspect that any upgrades would be nominal at best, depending on whether your current cpu is dual core and its clock speed. Would need to know more about your procesoor to determine that. You may already be maxxed out.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded a Dell 520. I found an old posting on Google where it was said to be possible to go with a 2GHz duo chip but I'm wondering I could go with a newer, faster chip.

That's a Latitude D520? The manufacture's website for that laptop is pretty vague about what processor it will support. (Image attached.)

Did some additional digging, and the fastest "supported" CPU you can put in there is a T2600 @ 2.16GHz (link).

Edit: Pinky beat me to the punch. :thup:

Attachments

• clippy.jpg
    clippy.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2,072
Back