• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just bought an SSD...question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notJUSTguitar

Hello.
I just bought an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD.
I'm going to install in tomorrow, and have a question.
I'm not sure what firmware would be on it, but I've read that some of the versions have problems.
Should I update it to the latest firmware, and would I have to do that before installing the OS to it? Or can the firmware be updated after I have everything installed.
Or, should I not worry about updating it if it works fine.
I have an AMD system.
Thanks!

I'd update and secure erase before you install. Use the OCZ Toolbox, small bootable tool you can find on their forums. Also make sure you set the SATA mode to ACHI in the BIOS before you install.

Definitely update firmware. Especially for sandforce drives as every new version contains necessary fixes. Set to AHCI, update firmware, secure erase then have fun! I've got the Vertex2 60GB 34nm version and I LOVE IT! I don't need SATA3 because this thing is already so fast...

Hey thanks for the replies.
When you say to secure update and then secure erase, would that be installing Windows 7, then updating from within Windows, and then secure erase to wipe the drive, then install again?
I'm putting it into a system I've had for a while. So to update, could I plug in the SSD, boot windows from the regular HDD, then update the SSD? And if I could/should do that, would I want to do a secure erase?
Thank! Just want to make sure I do it right the first time.

Yes, plug it into an established system. Update the firmware if it needs it through ocz toolbox, then in the same ocz utility is a option to secure erase. It doesn't erase firmware, just storage part of the drive, which nothing is on it anyway, it's like a special formatting for ssds, just provides a clean slate to start from. After that you are free to install windows to it, just make sure your controller is in AHCI mode.

Ok, the SSD came with the latest firmware (1.33). Did a secure erase, and am installing Windows 7 now.
I'll post back later once everything is up and running.

That should end up being pretty quick. Usually, starting with a fresh SSD, I go from power button press to usable desktop in 20 minutes or less.:thup:

You heard it here folks, ssds lower boot times to 20 minutes! :D

On a more serious note, my win 7 never installs that fast on to my ssd, it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 minutes to an hour, it seems to hang on several stages. In fact, Win7 loads onto my sisters mechanical drive based s939 system much faster than it does on to my ssd based q6600 system. But once its loaded, i get the right performance numbers and everything.

Last edited:
You heard it here folks, ssds lower boot times to 20 minutes! :D

On a more serious note, my win 7 never installs that fast on to my ssd, it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 minutes to an hour, it seems to hang on several stages. In fact, Win7 loads onto my sisters mechanical drive based s939 system much faster than it does on to my ssd based q6600 system. But once its loaded, i get the right performance numbers and everything.

:rofl:

What SSD are you using? My Corsair F60 takes no time to get the installation completed. Actually, I find myself getting a bit impatient when I have to reinstall on my wifes rig with spinners only. I kind of think her Athlon II X3 with the fourth core unlocked is faster than my Q6600, even though the clock speed is 100mHZ faster on the Intel. I do know the SSD makes my rig feel a lot faster. I was actually shocked at the difference between going from an old mechanical to my old OCZ Vertex 30GB (Indilinx based, IIRC), and going to the Sandforce on the Corsair was another huge improvement.

An adata s599 60gb. The actual install goes fast once it starts, but right when you launch off the disk, it takes me a good 20ish minutes to get to the point where im actually selecting the hard drive to install on. And yeah, once i get it installed, its super fast, way faster than any of my families computers, even those with ssds.

While typing this, it occurs to me that it is looking over the hard drives at that point, i wonder if it would go faster if i unplugged my 2 terabyte drive thats loaded up with all my music, movies, and games. Something to try on the next reinstall i guess.

Word!

XP installs in the time it takes for the tv show to cut to commercial, by the time commercials are done, so is xp :D

Havent tried with 7 tho.. I should because dvds are soooo slow, about 13 mins or so :(

Last I installed onto my SSD was maybe 15-20min as well but that was even from a DVD. Have to remake a USB stick for installs.

Typically under 2 hours I have 95% of my programs and updates all on the system. At least the past 4 times I've installed the OS recently.

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't posted back yet; i've been pretty busy.

Windows 7 installed in 15-20 minutes! (from DVD) Way faster then with my old HDD.
I should try it from a USB stick next time.
After I have most of my stuff installed, I have around 17GB free.

It gets to the desktop ready to go in 17 seconds from when it shows the 'starting windows' logo. Used to be 35-40 seconds.
Stuff opens way faster, especially when I open several things at once.
Also installing things is way faster. I installed Visual studio 2008/2010 pro, took 10 minutes each(installing from ISO's). It used to take over an hour for each.

Well thanks for the help!
-notJUSTguitar

Welcome to the world of SSD's :) Where programs work blazing fast, and they even install faster!

Almost makes wiping the computer not that much of a hassle anymore to get back up and running.

If you have any problems with crashing or stalling, also update your AHCI drivers. I updated mine and it seems to have fixed the problems I had. :)

Thanks!

One question though.
The drive is rated for 285MB/sec.
However, I have ran HD tune and HD tach several times each, and it gets nowhere near that.
I attached the results.
The read speed always goes way up at 12-16GB and from 47GB to the the end of the test.

Is that normal?
And, do SSDs slow down at all after they start to fill up?

EDIT: I have 12GB remaining out of 60GB.

I set it to AHCI in the bios before I installed Windows. How would I update the drivers?
Thanks!

Attachments

• bm1.jpg
    bm1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 86
  • bm2.jpg
    bm2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 86
Use AS SSD, Anvil Benchmark, ATTO.

Don't use HD Tach or HD Tune as a benchmark as that is aimed at mechanical HDD's.

Back