• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Megalith: not quite finished, but it'll do. =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazy Jayhawk

You might call this the sequel to the Monolith thread. I didn't use a Supercase this time, but the one I got is so big you'd have a hard time telling them apart. :D

Haven't put any car door molding around the fan holes, partly because the fan grills make it hard to see the rough edge of the blowholes, and because I'm waiting for the paint to harden some more.

First pic: The only one I took before painting. Imagine it without the side and top blowholes and that's how it looked when I first put it together.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same view of it as it appears now. The black triangles at the corners are a consequence of the odd angle I was holding the camera at. :p

Front of the case, showing that I have too many drives in there. :p

My camera's flash makes the top part look silvery, but it's not. It's all black hammered finish paint.

Not quite as much of a wire tangle as in the old rig. You might not recognize it as such, but one thing you can see in the picture is an adapter I designed to run 4 fans at 9 volts, using the 4- and 6-wire auxiliary power wires from my power supply.

Looks GREAT!

Now the 6-, and 4- wires, are they part of the Pentium 4 motherboard wires? I'm not using them on my computer and I've got some fans they couldn't hurt to be quieted. Could you direct me on a how-to on this?

Thanks,
Tim

xl said:
Looks GREAT!

Now the 6-, and 4- wires, are they part of the Pentium 4 motherboard wires? I'm not using them on my computer and I've got some fans they couldn't hurt to be quieted. Could you direct me on a how-to on this?

Thanks,
Tim

Adding additional fan connectors is fairly straightforward, just tie them into the existing wires. I came up with this idea myself, partly because I didn't have any Molex connectors to spare.

You could get the 4-pin connector by cutting all but the center 4 wires out of an ATX extension cable (or get 12V from a standard Molex) and the 6-pin connector by cutting down an AT extension cable (such things do exist).

Very good, very good...;)

But...we need to work on one thing...we must train you in the fine art of bread ties, zip ties, rubber bands, and automotive wireloom....:D

I know you don't have a window, so it's not critical to looks, but that has got to be killing your airflow thru the case. :eek:

I spent a good deal of time on mine, folded/rounded all of the ribbon cables, and put them, the ATX power lead to the mobo, and all the wires for the power switches/LEDs/speaker into automotive wireloom. Tucked some of the spaghetti between the PSU and right side cover, out of sight, and the rest into the open drive bays across from the PSU...

Makes it a lot easier to get at the expansion cards to swap stuff out, in addition to improving the airflow dramatically, as I mentioned...

Here's the top half of my full tower....

.....and the bottom half. Taking this extra step will help with system cooling. Plus...you'll want to put a window in, to show off the handiwork....:p

What you've done looks pretty good though...now make it look as good on the inside...and really wow 'em! ;)

Cheers!

**edit**....just looking at your "sig"...I'll wager, if your room temps are around 22-24c, and you can organize that spaghetti in your box...your idle temps will drop close to 5c... ;) Give it a shot and see....:beer:

Last edited:
those cases look mint
iv got an in win case, I cut new holes in my case looks sweet
one 92 mm in side to blow on to cpu and one 120mm in frunt to blow in. So much air goes in i get a draft from my flopy drive.
the hole i cut in the plastic was the hardest cos i had to use a hand powered jig saw instead of the electric because the plastic melted.

ill put some more in soon

Very nice replacement Jayhawk! You need a window and a CC tube or two.

BTW, love the background on your desktop, even if it was one of the most dissapointing anime series that I've ever watched. :D

Oni said:
Very nice replacement Jayhawk! You need a window and a CC tube or two.

BTW, love the background on your desktop, even if it was one of the most dissapointing anime series that I've ever watched. :D
Window and CCT are on my to-do list. I'm debating whether to just do a standard rectangle with rounded corners window or something more unusual. And of course it'll be a blue CCT, though I might get one red and one blue and put them at opposite ends of the case.

And I didn't think Evangelion was disappointing. It's my favorite series at the moment, and I have seen the whole thing and the movies. :p

Mr B said:
Very good, very good...;)

But...we need to work on one thing...we must train you in the fine art of bread ties, zip ties, rubber bands, and automotive wireloom....:D

I know you don't have a window, so it's not critical to looks, but that has got to be killing your airflow thru the case. :eek:
None of the cables are very large; the biggest one has 6 wires and they're zip-tied together. I have rounded IDE cables, so that's not much of an issue.

And it's just a polite request, but please save pics of your computer for your thread. :p I'm not mad; it just annoys me a bit. :)

Back