• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

80mm fan on 9600 GSO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys

I have an inno3d 9600 GSO gpu in my htpc. Somhow this fan is the loudest in this rig, and it annoys me abit, so i was thinking, would the graphics card be fine, if i removed the orig fan, and mounted an 80mm fan on the heatsink instead, and then rewiring the 80mm to run from the gpu fan power socket?

GPU looks like this:
Inno3D-PCI-E-768Mb-GeForce-GF9600GSO-(5501600MHz)-DDR-III-(192bit)-HDTV-out-+-Dual-DVI.jpg

I dunno about wiring it to run on the GPU power socket. That would depend on what the connector is rated for. You can strap a fan to it and power it from your motherboard, PSU, or fan controller.

I dunno about wiring it to run on the GPU power socket. That would depend on what the connector is rated for. You can strap a fan to it and power it from your motherboard, PSU, or fan controller.

Its an 80mm stock, but i took it off, placed a silence 80mm fan on there, and now just need to do the wiring. But i would really love to have the fan speed control from the gpu. Is there anyway?

Assuming it's a PWM fan you might be able to get it working if you modify the connector (this would also depend on the card offering fan speed controls as some of them are locked at 100%). If not, you'd need to hook it to a fan controller or wire it for 7V operation.

Assuming it's a PWM fan you might be able to get it working if you modify the connector (this would also depend on the card offering fan speed controls as some of them are locked at 100%). If not, you'd need to hook it to a fan controller or wire it for 7V operation.

The GPU only has a plus and ground, so its volt controlled for sure, but no idea what volts, so i reckon i will just rewire it to a an external fan speed controller.

If they're available in Denmark, the Sunbeam rheobus units are cheap (at least in the US) and work great.

I already got a manual fan speed controller to control 1 fan, funny enough its actually one that came with the fan, but wires are to short, so thats all i gotta sort out.

Back