• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You need to check with a DMM before you come to any conclusions. I wouldn't rely on software to give you correct readings.

is there any reason to worry?

btw, heres my system specs

Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.2GHz-->2.93GHz
Asus P5G41 C-M LX
Kingston 2x1GB DDR2 667-->887MHz
Powercolor PCS 1GB HD5830
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus
Antec True Power 550w

is there a problem with my psu?

My min and max volts are 11.89 and 12.18 respectively while under 100% load with p95 and running MSI Kombustor

If your 12v rail was really 8.7v, your system wouldn't be running. Something wrong with the PSU? Can't say without reading using a multimeter as MattNo5ss said.

The software readings are obviously wrong. Don't trust them. You must use a digital multimeter to check the voltages to get accurate readings. So should you worry? I would say no unless you are having stability issues but I can't say for certain since you don't have any accurate readings.

why is hwmonitor reading like that? i'm noob on computers so its worrying me a lot

i'm not having any stability issue. ran prime95 for 6hrs with no problem. the low 12v reading started when i installed my hd5830 so im suspecting my psu is overloading? is that so?

Because it is software, and software can't always be trusted. Checking for accurate readings with a multimeter is easy using a Molex connector on your PSU.

One reason that the software is inaccurate is that every new chipset (and sometimes different manufacturers mobos) output their data slightly differently. So the software has to constantly be updated to understand a given chipset & mobo's arrangement of sensor data and what it relates to. If the software is not up to date on your particular mobo, then the readings can be totally wrong.

Another is the the sensors themselves can go bad, and give false readings. So using a physical multimeter can give you accurate results that are independent of the mobo's sensors or the software's shortcomings.

Back