• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which MB should I buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi jelky! Welcome to the forum,

:welcome:

Picking out a motherboard depends on your needs. What will you be using the computer for?

-JT

Thank you :D

I will mainly be using this computer for gaming and video editing.

If you can hold off about 3 months give or take, Ivy bridge will be coming out. That way you have support for PCI-E 3.0 devices, meaning "future proofing" your motherboard.

(G3) stepping is what you are looking for as a Motherboard.

If you can't wait, then go either with the Motherboard in my sig(dont be alarmed by the startup beeps, thats normal. Its detecting USB devices and other stuff plugged in.) Or go with Gigabyte Z68 UD3, and get the feature set you want. Also, ASROCK is a good company to trust. Look for boards with PCI-E 3.0(they are backwards compatible) to stay ahead of the game.

Ivy bridge price expectancy should be around 350-500, possibly lower end models to support budget builds with 3.0 pci-e.

If you can hold off about 3 months give or take, Ivy bridge will be coming out. That way you have support for PCI-E 3.0 devices, meaning "future proofing" your motherboard.

(G3) stepping is what you are looking for as a Motherboard.

If you can't wait, then go either with the Motherboard in my sig(dont be alarmed by the startup beeps, thats normal. Its detecting USB devices and other stuff plugged in.) Or go with Gigabyte Z68 UD3, and get the feature set you want. Also, ASROCK is a good company to trust. Look for boards with PCI-E 3.0(they are backwards compatible) to stay ahead of the game.

Ivy bridge price expectancy should be around 350-500, possibly lower end models to support budget builds with 3.0 pci-e.

As the PCIE connectivity is via the CPU on the high bandwidth slots, all you need is a bios update to support PCIE 3.0 (credit to Archer for that one. Gigabyte has a press release out regarding this). Many ASRock boards already sport said update out of the box and are branded as 'pcie 3.0' boards, though this is not a function of the motherboard per say.

SB-E will drop into 1155 for anyone looking to upgrade and I don't think we're likely to see a new swath of Z/P/H boards to support them though I believe an X chipset may be on the way. Haven't heard anything about it in a while.

I'm a little confused, the i5-2500k Sandy Bridge CPU won't support PCI Express 3.0? So I would have to get an Ivy Bridge CPU to enable it?

Correct. Buying a motherboard that supports 3.0 will only run in 2.0 with Sandy Bridge, unless they release some sort of optimization drivers that enables it.

Regardless, any device that runs purely 3.0, is far off. Maxwell will be the first(i think.) don't worry about it too much. Ivy isn't even out yet.

Thank you all so much for the replies!

Another thing I've been confused about and can't find an answer to is on P67 motherboards I see at the end of the model # it will say something like (B3) or (Rev. 3) or Gen3.

I remember reading something about P67 boards malfunctioning or something, so is that just telling you that these are the fixed versions of P67?

Back