• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P67 and Z68

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pintailale

Hi folks, I am new to this hobby. I have been researching on this forum how to build a rig and have a question. What is the difference between a P67 and a Z68? Thanks

Edit: I found the answer sorry for asking a dumb question:)

Last edited:
Not at all. Z68 will feature something else, less mentioned, but confirmed by MSI.

All Existing Z68 Motherboards with the B3 stepping will be able to be flashed to the newer G3 stepping, with one exception. You can only have One PCI-E 3.0 lane. This means that while you will not have to buy a new motherboard(assuming you own the Z68) you will not be able to run SLI, even if the board has the slots for it.

This is the E-mail I recieved.

Rajiv Kothari
show details Aug 31 (1 day ago)

Hi Devon,

Yes the board will work with a PCI-e 3.0 device with a BIOS flash. The only thing that our competitor fails to mention is their board does not support the PCI-Express Gen 3 switch to allow multiple 3.0 devices to be used. The same rule applies for our (B3) series.

MSI (G3) series is the only board to have a Gen 3 switch to enable multiple 3.0 devices. NewEgg should be able to take back your motherboard or replace it with the (G3) series if you contact them about it. We are currently replacing all (B3) motherboards with (G3).

Best regards,

Rajiv Kothari |PR Manager/Platform Product Group|

Back