• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low 3dmark vantage score

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seth8530

Hi, ive been benchmarking my newly upgraded set up and i keep getting a warning on the score resort page that tells me that the score is low for my hardware configuration..

My Rig is as follows.
AMD 955 BE 3.635 ghz
2X gtx 480 driver 280.26 stock speeds. 1.5 gig video ram..
Gigabyte 990XA mobo AM3+
8gigs of ddr3 ram
750 w corsair PSU

I keep getting scores of right about 20k.. what is up with that... I checked and SLI is enabled.

Could you link to the score? The only issue I see would be CPU power, which strongly influences Vantage scores. If you have the cooling, clock that up to 4.0-4.2 GHz and you'll probably see a decent score increase. Get an 8-core Bulldozer when it comes out and you definitely won't get that message. :D

Could you link to the score? The only issue I see would be CPU power, which strongly influences Vantage scores. If you have the cooling, clock that up to 4.0-4.2 GHz and you'll probably see a decent score increase. Get an 8-core Bulldozer when it comes out and you definitely won't get that message. :D

The issue is that i cant get her above 3.6 ghz.. Even tho i have more than adequate cooling.

And right now 3d marks online service is begin screwy.

how about posting a ss of the results for us, might be able to give you some more insight from there.

The fact that your only running ddr3 1333 might also be bringing your score down.

Your CPU score is bringing your overall score down.

As for the RAM thing... 1333 is the "recommended" speed, but you can run much faster than that... I've run my RAM at 1900 with my 955 chip before and some have even gotten RAM to run at 2000. The 1333 is not so much a chip limitation as it is a "compatibility" standard that motherboard manufacturers came up with... And with new AM3 and AM3+ boards it is not even a factor anymore; if you go into BIOS you'll see that boards will go up to 8x multiplier for DRAM Speed and that means at least 1600 for the memory.

What model memory are you running? Is it rated for 1333 from factory? A link to the product page would help in pointing you in the right direction with it.

Your CPU score is bringing your overall score down.

As for the RAM thing... 1333 is the "recommended" speed, but you can run much faster than that... I've run my RAM at 1900 with my 955 chip before and some have even gotten RAM to run at 2000. The 1333 is not so much a chip limitation as it is a "compatibility" standard that motherboard manufacturers came up with... And with new AM3 and AM3+ boards it is not even a factor anymore; if you go into BIOS you'll see that boards will go up to 8x multiplier for DRAM Speed and that means at least 1600 for the memory.

What model memory are you running? Is it rated for 1333 from factory? A link to the product page would help in pointing you in the right direction with it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231189 Here is a linky to the product page.

OK... So they are rated for 1333. Your timings are not what the RAM is rated for though. I would suggest going into BIOS and setting your memory to:

- 6.67x Multiplier => 1333MHz effective speed.
- Set the Timings to 8-8-8-21-1T
- Set DRAM Voltage to 1.5V
Save settings and boot into OS.
If you get a memory error while rebooting (three long beeps); chances are your ram can't run the 1T setting so change that to 2T, save and reboot. :D

Run benchmark again and your CPU Score should improve a little bit since you'd be running your speed at the "highest" they are rated for. Note that this "highest" is not the max that they will do, it is just the max they are rated for by the manufacturer.

Once you have your RAM settings lined up you can start thinking about your overclock on the CPU.

If you post a screenshot with two instances of CPUz (Main - Memory) and one of GPUz to see what your overclocks are and how you're getting there; we will be able to help you out further.

OK... So they are rated for 1333. Your timings are not what the RAM is rated for though. I would suggest going into BIOS and setting your memory to:

- 6.67x Multiplier => 1333MHz effective speed.
- Set the Timings to 8-8-8-21-1T
- Set DRAM Voltage to 1.5V
Save settings and boot into OS.
If you get a memory error while rebooting (three long beeps); chances are your ram can't run the 1T setting so change that to 2T, save and reboot. :D

Run benchmark again and your CPU Score should improve a little bit since you'd be running your speed at the "highest" they are rated for. Note that this "highest" is not the max that they will do, it is just the max they are rated for by the manufacturer.

Once you have your RAM settings lined up you can start thinking about your overclock on the CPU.

If you post a screenshot with two instances of CPUz (Main - Memory) and one of GPUz to see what your overclocks are and how you're getting there; we will be able to help you out further.

ok here is the new score

http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3444842

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Seth... I can't make out the numbers on the screenshot... Could you upload the image to the forum's attachment system instead of using an external host? They tend to reduce the images in size to save bandwidth.

- The GPUz shows the video cards are not overclocked...

- I noticed your chip is a C2 revision; those are usually a bit harder to overclock than their C3 counterparts, but if you have temperature headroom I'd say go a bit higher on the CPU speed.

- As you bring the CPU speed higher try to bring CPU-NB up a bit as well.

- OS and drivers make a difference too... That's all I can say about this subject until you're part of the team. ;)

Vantage is pretty biased to cores/ thread count. Your CPU score is dragging down the overall, that's just the way it is with AMD. The FM database is saying your score is low, mainly due to the fact that it's only comparing to 24 other similar systems. For instance, 990X and 1 GTX480 = 39611 and a 980X and 1 GTX480 = 40186. Both are my scores, but if you look at the warning signs, you'll notice that they tell me the 40186 is below average, and the 39611 is equal or above.... yeah ok... thanks futuremark. Don't worry about it. If you're just gaming, who cares, you're probably killing the FPS anyway.
If you just want to try and improve your score (you might be able to tweak out 25-28K)... Things to try:

• Definitely overclock the GPU's
  • Overclock the CPU higher. If all you're worried about is running Vantage... that's all it has to do, stability means getting through Vantage and that's it.
  • Pull two sticks and raise the Ram speeds, 1600 at least.

Vantage is pretty biased to cores/ thread count. Your CPU score is dragging down the overall, that's just the way it is with AMD. The FM database is saying your score is low, mainly due to the fact that it's only comparing to 24 other similar systems. For instance, 990X and 1 GTX480 = 39611 and a 980X and 1 GTX480 = 40186. Both are my scores, but if you look at the warning signs, you'll notice that they tell me the 40186 is below average, and the 39611 is equal or above.... yeah ok... thanks futuremark. Don't worry about it. If you're just gaming, who cares, you're probably killing the FPS anyway.
If you just want to try and improve your score (you might be able to tweak out 25-28K)... Things to try:

• Definitely overclock the GPU's
  • Overclock the CPU higher. If all you're worried about is running Vantage... that's all it has to do, stability means getting through Vantage and that's it.
  • Pull two sticks and raise the Ram speeds, 1600 at least.

The issue with over clocking the CPU is that i hit a 3.5 to 3.6 ghz wall whether i run stock voltage or over volts, raise the NB and the NB volt.. Ive read through dolks guide and i dont understand what is up.

Ill overclock the GPU's once im confident i got the CPU where i want it.. GPU overclocks are easy

The issue with over clocking the CPU is that i hit a 3.5 to 3.6 ghz wall whether i run stock voltage or over volts, raise the NB and the NB volt.. Ive read through dolks guide and i dont understand what is up.

Ill overclock the GPU's once im confident i got the CPU where i want it.. GPU overclocks are easy

I know it is a C2 revision, but you can still get more out of it.

What are you using for cooling?

What motherboard?

Are you overclocking NB or CPU-NB? You need to raise CPU-NB.

If your temperatures are within acceptable limits you can raise VCore to see if you can get higher CPU clocks that way. 1.376V for the CPU is still well within "sane" voltages... I've given my 955BE 1.55V+ on air for short periods of time (while the bench runs).

I know it is a C2 revision, but you can still get more out of it.

What are you using for cooling?

What motherboard?

Are you overclocking NB or CPU-NB? You need to raise CPU-NB.

If your temperatures are within acceptable limits you can raise VCore to see if you can get higher CPU clocks that way. 1.376V for the CPU is still well within "sane" voltages... I've given my 955BE 1.55V+ on air for short periods of time (while the bench runs).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150 this is my cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128510 and that is my mobo..I idle about 35 C.

and i raise the CPU NB.. not the NB.

That board should be able to push your chip higher than 3.4GHz for sure...

The TT Frio is a decent cooler and should allow you to go higher than where you are now as well... It won't let you get to the high speeds/voltages as the more expensive coolers, but it will definitely give you a bit of room to play.

I see in CPUz that your Bus Speed is 193.xx is this something you set in BIOS, or is that from the fluctuations in FSB that AMD boards have?

Back