• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i use a shim when installing pal8045?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

I have a 8kha+ and a 1900+ and i own a purple anodized shim (non conductive) which i am using now. Do owners of the alpha recommend that i use it when i install it? it is one heavy mofo and i dont wanna break anything.

i personally dont own an alpha but from EVERYTHING ive heard, people that own large heatsinks that screw in therough the holes in the mobo (mcx462, alpha pal) as opposed to clipping on should not use shims, because of the way the heatsink screws on, it dispenses it's weight even enough.

~jeff~

I wouldn't recommend a metal shim on an Athlon, you stand a good chance of shorting out your bridges.

ol'man makes shims out of what looks like scotch tape. thats pretty non conductive. otherwise a few places sell amd cut shims that dont cover the bridges. i've seen em but cant remember where.

ucfswimmer said:
i personally dont own an alpha but from EVERYTHING ive heard, people that own large heatsinks that screw in therough the holes in the mobo (mcx462, alpha pal) as opposed to clipping on should not use shims, because of the way the heatsink screws on, it dispenses it's weight even enough.

~jeff~

ya, that is the only way to attach it, but he still could use a shim

you only really need a shim if u are scared of putting it on. there are many, many people who dont use shims, but u could if u want to.

don't use a shim, when putting the heatsink on top of the core just be very careful to easy it on thats all.

take ur time.. get lots of light and u wont need a chim but if u alrdy have one look at it up to the light or put it on a desk or table and make sure its as flat as possible but if u plan on buying one **** that.. ive taking my pal on and off about 2 times and ive also put a grill on my fan which took some shaking and it gave my core no damage so i dont think it will be that bad.. u would use the shim on another comp u might have that uses a clip..

k i guess i wont use a shim. i have been using shims when installing my sk6 and more recently my coolermaster heatpipe. My shim does not even come close to tuching the bridges as it is made for athlon xp's

i use an anodized shim, and its always good to have one, because they dont hurt anything, they are only a couple bucks, and you really cant break the core if you have a shim

I rather place the heatsink on the core slowly and carefully, taking my time then run the risk of the shim being bent or warped; not causing full contact with the core.

if we are talking about the same shim - a purple tweakmonster shim - then it is the best shim, it is very small and designed to be as far away from the die as possably as to not alter the temprature. i have one and find it very good. use it.

Back