• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just bought a ASUS GTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 and PC keeps rebooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nzcontak

Hi guys,

First post here, just so you know I can be a noob with the wires' name and what is compatible with what. I know the minimum but I'm not always right. I'm looking foward to fix my issue with Overclockers' forum. Thanks again.

Like in the title, I recently bought an ASUS GTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 and I plugged it on my mobo, plugged the 2 PCI-E wires and my computer is rebooting every 3-5 sec.

I know that everything is well plugged because I switched back to my nVidia 8800GT and I'm here now.

Known facts :
- I can see my BIOS menu, so I guess the GC is working?
- My 2 fans are running, so I guess no alimentation problems?

Unknown facts :
- Compatible with my mobo? Or mobo too old?
- PSU enough strong my all my setup ?
- Is the GC fried/defect ? How could I know ?

Here are my specs :
OS Name............: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version..............: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Model.....: P5K
System Type......: x64-based PC
Processor...........: Intel Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 2830 Mhz
BIOS.................: American Megatrends Inc. 1201, 14/10/2008
RAM..................: Kingston 8.00 GB (4x2gGB)
Power supply......: OCZ 700watts

Your PSU is plenty potent for that card unless the PSU is old or something else is wrong with it. OCZ is not the best brand of PSU by any means but not the worst either. A bad PSU would be my first guess. It may be on the edge and able to handle the 8800 GT but not the new card.

Is the rebooting happening before or after you get into Windows?

First off :welcome: to the forum
You can try booting into safe mode (press F8 while loading) and installing drivers for the card. Before installing the card, make sure windows sees it in device manager. Then reboot the system after you finish, and see what happens. Make sure that you do a fresh driver install (custom install) which deletes the old driver. If this doesn't work, then it could possibly be either a bad card or an incompatibility issue. Try this and let us know what happens.
-Greg

Edit-Your PSU is plenty for your setup

Hi guys,

I updated my BIOS with another version (my BIOS was already up-to-date) and magically my PC was able to go to the Windows screen. Unfortunately, it shutted down few mins after. It restarted my PC so I tried to go in Safe mode and install the driver which was a succes.

Although.. My PC is still rebooting at each 30sec or mins.. :bang head

Thanks for your help.

I called the Tech support of ASUS and the Agent wasnt able to solve the issue.

I might start thinking it's a card problem.

Back