• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD screens and memtest errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agitated

Registered
i have a cyberpower pc that is giving me problems... here are the details:

memory is model: cmd4gx3m2a1600c9

BLUETOOTH: USB Bluetooth 2.0 Adapter [+10]
CARE1: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
CARE2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
CAS: * Apevia X-Dreamer 3 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window & Temperature Display [-62] (Black Color with Blue Ring & Blue LED Fan)
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+3] (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: * Asus BC-08B1LT 8X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo [+65] (BLUE COLOR [+9])
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+21] (1 x System)
FAN: XtremeGear Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
FLASHMEDIA: None
FLOPPY: None
FREEBIE_CU1: Star Trek Online Digital Deluxe Game
GLASSES: None
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
LANSURGE: None
MB_ADDON: None
MEMORY: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair Dominator)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) MSI X58A-GD65 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Triple-Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, IEEE1394a, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NOISEREDUCE1: Power Supply Gasket [+5]
NOISEREDUCE2: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7 Professional [+31] (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 950 Watts - CyberPowerPC Gaming 80 Plus Power Supply [+16]
RUSH: 5% Instant Rebate for Non-Rush Delivery Order over $999 - 3 Weeks Wait Time - Must Enter Coupon Code "NORUSH" during checkout
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TVRC: None
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]
VC_PHYSX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: None

ok, i have been getting blue screens since i got the thing. first, i was experiencing the video split and pixelate and do odd things. i got the vid card rma'd. then more blue screens but not odd video issues. i d/l and run memtest86 v4.0a....i get errors and check all mods one at a time in all slots. find one with errors and also notice that they are running at 1300 (memory is supposed to be 1600), so i run 5 sticks on pc and call support. they tell me to rma the one stick and tell me how to up it to 1600. just about an hour later, another bsod. i then call tech support back and tell them what all i done. i say i'll test again memory (now which is at 1600) and that i will check all slots. ............................................ok here i am now. all along it seems that the ram has been getting a little too hot - hot to the touch, anyway. so i put on memtest86 while i go to work with all 5 sticks in all but the center blue slot. when i get back i have over 2 million errors (after 10+hrs working all day)... and the ram i very hot - too hot to touch my face with it so very hot. although i can't tell by looking at memtest which ram stick is giving errors and i don't know if it's possible to tell, i take out the one in the middle black slot and run memtest again and leave for a couple hours. when i get back after a couple hours, the wall time on memtest is 38 minutes and there are million+ errors (not exaggerating). so.....here i am now .... running memtest again with just 3 modules in (i took one out after each error not knowing if the module is bad or not and running memtest again) and over 50 minutes later, no errors. ram is getting hot.

about the bsod's previously. i looked at crashdump file and it says "probably ntoskrnl.exe" i read that is generic without driver verifier................continued in next post so i won't lose info i typed already

ok continued....... i know the bsod crashdump is not so good without driververifier, so i've read. so, once i get bsod after i've activated driver verifier, i'll post it. does anybody know what i can do?
besides call support again?

and before someone says drop the freq back down to 1300, why do that if the ram supposed to be 1600 (i know not much improv but just wondering why?)

please and thank you for helping.... and let me know what other info i need to post

thank you to all who can help - even to those who wish they could. i had this since 1/2011 and it's rather annoying to experience when i have a $300 hp laptop i'm on now that's never had a bsod.

thought i'd add that the support guy told me to up the ratio from auto to 6.

wow i can't get anybody to reply to my posts.... does ANYBODY know why ntoskrnl.exe would be giving me bsod's

Well, first make sure the Dimm voltage is set to the spec of the corsair.The heat of the dimms might be an issue so if you have a extra fan or some way to get some airflow over the dimms that might cure all the issues.

thank you..
i was thinking of a ram fan... maybe the corsair ram fan that fits over the sinks (i saw some not so good ratings about the fan screwing up after several months though)... in the mobo manual, 1600 and up has an asterisk and says it's capable of that if overclocked. i set the ram back to 1333. could the bsod's be because i haven't overclocked the board (i wonder)? it has switches on the board to set it from 133 to 166 which would up the ram automatically to (i forgot, but) around 1600something. is that safe for the pc to up the freq to 166? are there any precautions i should take? i believe everything i have is overclockable. i did for a few minutes but switched it back.... then ran cpu-z. it said that the core i7 950 is still 3.07 ghz....i guess because it's just saying what it is and not checking the ghz on it. how do i see what the processor is actually running at after i switch the switches?.... do i look in the bios and see? if i remember right, it said 3.4 ghz..
thanx

There are two issues here with regard to running the ram at 1600 mhz. One has to do with the ram itself. Almost all ram rated for 1600 mhz is really 1333 mhz ram that is extra good and will run at 1600 mhz in "XMP" mode, that is with a little extra voltage and/or relaxed timings. The second is the motherboard whose default auto ram settings max out at what is appropriate for 1333 mhz ram. If you want to run the ram at the XMP frequency then you will need to manually set the frequency, the timings and the voltage.

I recommend installing CPU-z and look at the "SPD" tab under the XMP column to see what the recommended timings and voltages are for the XMP mode and then going into bios and manually setting them to that. Sometimes the timings terminology in CPU-z will differ from what it is in bios but you can experiment and then see if you changed the right setting by going back into CPU- z and looking at the "Memory" tab to see if the intended changes are reflected there. Only the five or six timings listed in CPU-z are important and the rest you see in bios you can leave on "Auto". Unfortunately, CPU-z does not report ram voltage so make sure it is manually set to the correct amount in bios.

i think that my settings for the ram were causing them... i don't think the board can handle over 1333 if not overclocked.... thanx to all who helped out!!

Back