• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berne

Hi,
Refer to another board if required. I have Win7Ult with Ubuntu in dual boot. What are my options to backup the whole system to a free network folder or other? Max say 300GB..is this realistic or doubtful for free?
Will there be complications as the currentl sys is dual boot GRUB......with Trucrypt Master PW to start GRUB.
Maybe there is free software around that could take care of the backup or payware at a reasonable price?

Alternatively suggest best course to take in this situation.

All good advice welcome,

Berne

How much are you wanting to backup? If something happens to the drive, are you willing to reinstall the OS/programs and then restore your information?

If you want a full disk backup, Acronis is good, but it costs. Otherwise, simply have a backup of anything you want.

Backing up linux is a tad easier. The /home folders are the most obvious one, but you can add /etc if you do a lot of configuration manually. If you need a full disk backup, you can always use the command dd to backup the disk, among many other backup programs that are available.

Focus

Hi,
I will manually backup what critical files I have and they only come to around 12GB, the rest can be restored manually from memory...Ive not had good times with Acronis but my poor memory does seem to stand by me each time I need to reinstall. Thankfully reinstall periods are getting further apart..mmmm?

Linux is quite interesting ...if time permits, could you give me a url or link to explain backup options? Thank you for the reply.

Berne:chair:

I use a rsync BASH script that backs up to my server every hour. The script could be as simple as a "cp" command, or something more complex. Whatever works for you. To use rsync, you will either need to mount the remote location or run a rsync server. The latter will be more work to setup, but should be quite a bit faster.

I also use SpiderOak, which is a realtime backup and very good. You get 6 GB free.

Back