• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SteelSeries 7H USB Mod: guidance request

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vader333

Hi people, this is my first post, and my first mod attempt. I'm finding my 7H's mic really crappy, and the wires in the headband have a problem that causes one side to produce no sound. So I'm thinking of buying a high quality mic and wiring it to the 7H, and replacing the wires in the headband with better wires and an analog connection.

phpeFbJGGAM.jpg

phpUPqJtLAM.jpg

phpzh8ksIAM.jpg

phpP82AjLAM.jpg

As my head is rather large, the joints bend outward quite a fair bit, and I suspect this disconnects the funny connector in the last picture from the headband jack.

What I want to do is replace the four pin thingo with an analog plug, and the headband receptacle with an analog jack. Will this replacement function properly? Should I use TRS or TRRS connectors? (note: the connector with the mic has four wires. This one is the right speaker.)

phpcCvec7AM.jpg

phpuhEzlSAM.jpg

This is the chip that everything is wired to. I don't know what it does, probably the inline volume and 7.1 simulation, but I want to unsolder the mic, remove it, and put in it's place a microphone such as this one:

CLick for further details.

Is that feasible?

P.S.: Does gold plating really matter?

Last edited:
Back