• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6.8GHz out of an X4 955...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macsters

So, I had held off overclocking until i got better cooling in.

well, yesterday i got my antec kuhler 920 in the mail. installed it asap.

didnt do anything to the bios settings yet, though. in fact, everything is still set to auto.

i get on today, open up core temp....and apparently i am running at 6.8GHz. The idle temps were 31C. I turned on prime95 and got up to 54C before leveling out. I wouldn't believe it, except the fans on the radiator are blowing super hardcore, like the motherboard thinks the cpu is under stress.

dunno what to think.

if it matters, im running a gigabyte UD3 with a 990fx chipset, ripjaws 2x4gb @1600 (underclocked for the cpu, the memory is rated to 1866 normal clock).

i cant see this making a difference, but ive got an evga 560 Ti, a bd burner, a cheapo dvd burner, two 1 Tb hdd's in raid 0 and a 64gb boot drive. 1000w kingwin lazer modular power supply. edimax pci wireless card.

screenshot is grainy, i had to shrink it from 1920x1080 to fit file size requirements. but its all there....

edit: just to be clear, i completely removed and reinstalled core temp twice. got the same readings. bios is set to auto, so i cant confirm or deny anything there.

Attachments

• 6.8 GHz clock speed..png
    6.8 GHz clock speed..png
    480.1 KB · Views: 235
You should download cpu-z for an accurate cpu speed measurment. Core temp gets it wrong all too often. If your chip really is at 6.8 (and it isnt) you are just a couple hundred mhz off of the world record holder for that chip under extreme cooling.

yeh i was thinking its an error. you got a link for cpuz? i'm rather lazy.

edit: also, i lol'd.

downloaded, installed, shows running at 3.2144. how bland. lol. at least core temp was giving me the right temps, anyway.

Yeah, core temp is as accurate as any other monitoring program for cpu distance to tj max, since they all pull the number they spit out from the same source. It just doesnt always handle cpu speed well.

I would also start setting the bios settings manually, 54c under a prime load seems high for a stock clocked amd chip on aftermarket cooling. Im pretty sure you guys aim to keep those under 55c overclocked, so for it to be that hot already says either the auto setting on your board is forcing too much voltage or the cooler isnt mounted quite right. Sort that out and push for 4ghz!

LOL. That's it I'm loading core temp, drink lots of coo-laid and beers, and convince myself that my 955 BE is running at 6.8 GHz. Much much better than what CPUZ is telling me.

i think i will join you. id much rather look at 6.8 at 54C than 3.2 at 54....

i manually set everything at stock in bios. still got 53-54 at load, with aftermarket cooling. took off cooler, cleaned and reapplied thermal paste (noctua's stuff, its a good thing there's a lot in the tube) and remounted it. load at stock is now 39C. dunno what the problem was, but it seems that im good to go now =D

Back