• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC - Not Turning On; Mobo Lights On; Fan Not On

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cerebrate42

I just built my first PC yesterday... And it still hasn't turned on.
The thing is, the power (red) and reset (green) lights on the mobo turn on when I turn the power on on the PSU. However, when I try to turn on the actual computer, and press the button on the front of the case, nothing happens!
The fan on my PSU is not turning on, although it is obviously still providing the mobo with power. Does this mean my PSU is broken?
I am fairly certain I have all the power switches and such in the correct place; I triple checked!

Thanks!

Update:

I have been trying various combinations of things to eliminate variables.
Most salient was that I actually got one of the case's fans and the heat sink to both move for a fraction of a second. I'm not 100% what it was exactly that I did that did this. I tried the four possible different combinations of the on and off positions of the EPU and TPU switches, and it seems that this may have been why. However, I am more leaning toward the fact that these fans seemed to have briefly flickered on when I turned off the PSU, unplugged the IEC, plugged it back in, and turned the PSU on once more. I also tried using a different IEC cable, and when I turned on the PSU, I believe one of the case fans moved by a very small amount.
Still, however, the PSU's fans has never moved. Doesn't this mean that the PSU is dead? When I turn on the PSU, shouldn't the fan turn on, regardless of the mobo and the other parts?

Thanks!

Here are my specs, if it helps:

- mobo

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro

- CPU

Intel i7-2600K, 3.40 GHz, 8MB cache, LGA1155

- GPU

NVidia Quadro FX4600

- PSU

750 W PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II

- RAM

G.Skill F3-12800CL9T (4 x 4 GB (I tried turning it on with just one stick in, and with all four sticks in))

There are couple of things that come to mind.

1. The PSU is bad or puts out inadequate power. Is this a new PSU or one you moved over from an old system? How many watts does it put out? How many +12v rails does it have and how many amps are on each rail. That info should be on the PSU label.
2. The ram or the video card are not completely seated. And how much are you trying to power with it? You have told us nothing about your hardware specifications. Please give us some info on PSU, CPU, Ram, motherboard, GPU, etc.
3. There is an electrical ground out happening between the underside of the motherboard and the case. If #1 and #2 above don't help I would advise taking the motherboard and other necessary components out of the case and assembling things temporarily on a table top to see if it will power up. Many times, a motherboard offset stud will be in a wrong position on the case platform and be touching the traces on the underside of the motherboard. Check for this carefully.

Have you checked to make certain that you connected the power button on the case to the correct headers on the motherboard?

I had something similar happen once in a standoff free case because the raised mount was bridging a few solder joints. You might want to just double check that the back of the motherboard isnt touching anything that could be causing a ground or short.

+1 move the board and other equipment needed to run out of the case, you could have a DOA board.:popcorn::soda:

Also, make sure you have both the 24 pin main power connector and the 4/8 pin auxiliary 12v connector to the main board plugged in as well as the 12v direct power lead to the video card from the PSU.

SOLVED

Hey there,

Thanks for the help everyone!!
I tried several of these approaches.
Most importantly, I took everything except the mobo and the PSU out, and started testing each part one-at-a-time from there... And I got it to WORK!!! :)

Thank you so much for your help everyone!

Back