• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD or INTEL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaos

Well now I'm at a bridge I need to cross.. I purchased the ECS 1155 mobo($99 after rebate) I would get at least the Intel i5-2500k. But now I ran across this Gigabyte mobo for AMD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514 and thinking of pairing it with a 6 core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913 Price will be about the same but I'll be getting 6 cores instead of 4 and probably a better quality board(and I like the color scheme on it better). What do you think I should do???..Will probably be used more for cpu intensive stuff, but may start gaming again...

A core is not a core is not a core. 4 Bloomflied cores (intel) kill 6 thuban cores and 4 sandybridge cores kill 4 bloomfield cores. AMD's stuff right now is junk. In 30 days, no, but Bulldozer isn't out yet. The 1155 board you bought is junky IMO. I'd get a Z68XUD4 instead but no current AMD desktop part beats any Intel.

1Mhz of X does not = 1 Mhz of Y.

You have to look at the entire platform. What's controlling I/O? What is the architechture like? How much cache is there? How is the cache distributed? Can the CPU handle X Y and Z instruction sets, what is the TDP, what am I doing with it and how does it bench for said task versus this other CPU, etc.

2Ghz of Atom (per core) is <<<<<<<< 2Ghz of Pentium 4 <<<< 2Ghz Core 2 <<<< 2Ghz Bloomfield <<<< 2Ghz Gulftown <<<< 2Ghz of Sandybridge

the speed is not that important to me. thats why I'm asking. SInce people say ECS stuff isnt very good(havent had any problems myself) I would have to buy a new mobo too..Think I'm gonna sell the mobo and the cpu(Intels cheapest 1155) on Ebay and go with AMD...

If you decide to go with AMD I would highly recommend that you wait until the release of bulldozer. Even if you decide to go with a current generation thuban you will be able to save a good bit of money on the chip.

Back