• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for new boot drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unijabnx2000

Am I a real member?
Ive been working with 2 hhd's in raid 0 on my evga sli3 board as my boot drive.

And ive been craving 2 sata III's to put in raid 0 for the boot drive....

but with all the uncertainty of the life of a SSD and mixed reviews...

i decided on two 10k raptors to put in raid for the same price and twice the storage.

I guess my next "want" for my desktop is going to be a antec 902 and selling my antec 300. :attn:

Was there a question in there somewhere?

If you're just looking for comments.. I think you definitely should have gone SSD. They make Raptors look dog slow, and if you just cared about price/GB, a pair of F3's would have been a better deal.

Was there a question in there somewhere?

If you're just looking for comments.. I think you definitely should have gone SSD. They make Raptors look dog slow, and if you just cared about price/GB, a pair of F3's would have been a better deal.
No question. Thats just the plan.

X2, SSD are the way to go.

I doubt that even the Raptors in RAID would saturate SATA II nevermind SATA III.

I would get 1 bigger SSD as raid won't help in boot time, random access or some random transfers.
I was thinking to get other/bigger case than Antec 300 but at the end I modded it and all is ok now.

yes i know the raptors wont come close to the ssd's.
But i wont hit the power button on my computer and wonder if the ssds might decide to quit that day.

Ive read many reviews of them DOA, or died two weeks later, or two hours after install...etc.

yes i know the raptors wont come close to the ssd's.
But i wont hit the power button on my computer and wonder if the ssds might decide to quit that day.

Ive read many reviews of them DOA, or died two weeks later, or two hours after install...etc.

Very true of Sandforce 2281 controlled SSD. Not so much with the older Sandforce controller. As for new controllers, the Crucial M4 is very stable and reliable these days. It's good that you did some research but it should not persuade you from avoiding SSD.

As for the life span of an SSD. I doubt 99% of consumers would see the day that they wear out their SSD. It'll most likely be replaced before that time. IMO HDDs are more prone to failures than SSDs.

Back