• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

560 Ti - Will it work with this PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David-B-737

Registered
Hello,
I'm thinking about upgrading my GPU from a gt 240 to a 560 Ti.

The PSU is 550W and is +12v triple-rail, it has 18 amps on each, it has only one 6-pin PCI-E power connector but I am planning to use one of the 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCI-E adapters that come with the GPU, the PSU is non-modular.

My questions are:
1. Will I be able to use it with this PSU?
2. Could anyone explain me more about how "rails" work?
3. If the GPU cannot run with this PSU, will it work with this one?

Thanks.

Update: Solved - view page 3

Last edited:
What people have so far failed to question is the brand (quality) of the original PSU. A 550W PSU will EASILY handle a 560ti if its a quality PSU. Getting 600W+ for that card is serious overkill. A quality 550W PSU will handle just about any single GPU and CPU out there so there is already room to 'expand'. Now if you plan on going SLI I would look into the 700W+ range.

As far as how rails work, its just a term for separating the power... in this case on the 12v rail. In the stickies in this section you will see a thread explaining that essentially.

LOL...He doesnt have a link to the PSU he owns... he linked to a PSU he wants to buy if the one, which he didnt mention brand, isnt powerful enough.

which he didnt mention brand

My bad, It's an In-Win IP-S series 550W power supply, the guy at the computer shop told me that it's not one of the best PSU brands but it should work with the new GPU.
I am more concerned about the amps and the lack of one 6-pin PCI-e cable (the GPU requires two but the PSU has only one, I'm planning to use a molex to 6-pin adapter) than the brand of the PSU.

Last edited:
LOL...He doesnt have a link to the PSU he owns... he linked to a PSU he wants to buy if the one, which he didnt mention brand, isnt powerful enough.

so what are you saying now ED, now your saying that the psu he wants isnt powerful enough after I had originally said that for him to get a 600 too 750w psu with 80+ power efficiency so he has room to expand.......

me personally, I have a Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000w which powers an Intel i7 950 12GBs of ram 4 HardDrives 2 Asus GTX 560 ti's in SLI an Asus GTX 550 ti for phyics and im sure your gonna tell me that my psu and phyics card is way overkill......and i say dont say it if you havent tried it or tested it yourself

so what are you saying now ED, now your saying that the psu he wants isnt powerful enough after I had originally said that for him to get a 600 too 750w psu with 80+ power efficiency so he has room to expand.......

me personally, I have a Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000w which powers an Intel i7 950 12GBs of ram 4 HardDrives 2 Asus GTX 560 ti's in SLI an Asus GTX 550 ti for phyics and im sure your gonna tell me that my psu and phyics card is way overkill......and i say dont say it if you havent tried it or tested it yourself

Considering your system may max out at consuming 850w then yes your psu is overkill. Do you think that is bad or something? Having too much power supply is fine. Especially if you ever plan to upgrade.

I won't be doing SLI and this is the last upgrade I'm doing to this system before getting a new one,
all I want to know is if my current PSU can run a single 560 Ti without problems.

i dont believe it is but you cxan try it out if it dosnt work good for you get another one

It may work, but from what I can find that is a pretty low end psu. You may consider getting a decent psu first. I'd hate for you to kill a <$200 video card. The antec earthwatts series are OK at best. I'd stick with a corsair or something of the same quality.

Considering your system may max out at consuming 850w then yes your psu is overkill. Do you think that is bad or something? Having too much power supply is fine. Especially if you ever plan to upgrade.

i bought the silent pro gold 1000w mainly so i wouldnt have to change the psu if i ever got 2 or 3 gtx 580's or higher in the future

+1 EarthDog that power supply will work fine.

My oc 570 GTX and i5 2500k 5.0Ghz with prime 95 and FurMark running at the wall is 400w kilowatt meter

Last edited:
+1 EarthDog that power supply will work fine.

My oc 570 GTX and i5 2500k 5.0Ghz with prime 95 and FurMark running at the wall is 400w kilowatt meter

Wattage wise it is fine, but from a build quality standpoint it isn't all that great. Some of the lower end psu's like to explode when loaded higher than they are used to.

Wattage wise it is fine, but from a build quality standpoint it isn't all that great. Some of the lower end psu's like to explode when loaded higher than they are used to.

He said the guy at the shop said that model of PSU would be fine.

He is not build just swapping out his video card.

What video card did he have before?

Back