• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What files can be deleted?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Noodle217

Registered
Wasn't sure what area to post this, this seems like it will work though. I just bought an SSD and installed windows 7 on it. Windows 7 is still on my old HDD which I'm keeping other stuff on. What files need to be deleted to get rid of windows on there? Or would it be better to move everything I want to keep onto a external hard drive and then wipe the old one and put everything back on?

Move everything you want to another drive and format it. Otherwise, delete anything you don't need off the drive; you aren't going to break it.

I would be careful since depending on if the old drive was still installed when you installed the other version of Win 7...the boot files for the new installation may have been put on the old hard drive. I have seen this when isntalling with two hard drives hooked up.

I would be careful since depending on if the old drive was still installed when you installed the other version of Win 7...the boot files for the new installation may have been put on the old hard drive. I have seen this when isntalling with two hard drives hooked up.
Good catch, didn't think of that since I'm very careful on what drives I keep plugged in. There is a simple test and fix for this. Unplug everything but the SSD and see if it boots. If it does, you shouldn't have any problems. If it does, put in your Windows install disk and have it repair the bootup process. Make sure to have all other drives disconnected if you go this route.

I unplugged the other hard drive when I installed in on the new one. This is the first time I've used multiple hard drives at once. So it's possible to just make one big folder with everything I want and delete everything else?

You can. I would format the drive so there is no residue left, but that is just "cautious me".

Back