• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First gaming rig build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

~neo

Hello, I'm new.

I decided to build a computer for the first time.

How's this build look? See any major problems?

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
RAM: Gskill RipjawsX 2x4GB 1.5V 1600Mhz
GPU: Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 570
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
SSD: Crucial M4 C400 128GB
DVD: DVD R/W
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black
PSU: Silverstone ST75F-P 750W ATX

750W PSU for doing SLI in the future. I plan on doing slight OC on CPU and GPU.

Question: Is the 212+ going to block any DIMM slots? I'd hate that.

Unless you're OCing to the MAX, get the Twin Frozr II. TFIII isn't necessary for normal people.

AMD cards scale better in multi-GPU setups. You can get a 6970 for the same price, and due to scaling, 6970x2=580x2. Other then that, great build. :thup: Look out for combos. :).

Good build, gtx 570 is an excellent card, I have accelero extreme on mine with moded vrm heatsink, and my 24/7 overclock is 900/1800/2250 @ 1.063v, max temps 56C dead silent under full load, and at that overclock it rivals 580.

the 212 front fan will interfere with the Gskill,all you have to do is slide the front fan up like 1" and it will work fine.
& the 570's will run everything you can through at them.

Thanks for replies :D

Looks like you have done your research. Good choices.
Haha yeah I spent days looking over all the parts since at the beginning I knew absolutely nothing.

Good build, gtx 570 is an excellent card, I have accelero extreme on mine with moded vrm heatsink, and my 24/7 overclock is 900/1800/2250 @ 1.063v, max temps 56C dead silent under full load, and at that overclock it rivals 580.
Yeah I read lots of good things about the 570 I hope I can get mine to work that well.

the 212 front fan will interfere with the Gskill,all you have to do is slide the front fan up like 1" and it will work fine.
& the 570's will run everything you can through at them.
Ok good :)

Unless you're OCing to the MAX, get the Twin Frozr II. TFIII isn't necessary for normal people.

AMD cards scale better in multi-GPU setups. You can get a 6970 for the same price, and due to scaling, 6970x2=580x2. Other then that, great build. :thup: Look out for combos. :).
In my local online store the FIII is only a tad (20$) more expensive so I think I'll go with that. I checked out 6970 too, but it's 40$ more expensive and harder to find for me so I think I'll stick with the 570.

----

I have another question: Some people told me that I should get a noctua NF-P14 instead of 212+. I'm not adverse to doing some more aggressive CPU over-clocking later when I get the hang of it. Would it be worth it to get it? It hurts my budget a little but still an option.

I bought Noctua coolers for both of my builds, and looking back, I wish I would have gotten the 212+ and put the money towards better cases or something like that.

I mean, I love having quality parts, don't get me wrong, and you can't get better quality than Noctua, but when it's all said and done, if you want quality parts just for quality, then get it, otherwise get the 212+ because the 212+ is 97% as good as Noctuas IMO.

Back