• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on OC'ing a new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Manx

Hi all,

I just put this system together but have a couple of questions please. I want to OC the system but not pushed it. Just enough to take advantage of the components I've purchased. I don't want to get into alot of benchmark testing or details unless I have to based on your advice. I have a strong knowledge of computers and have read a few guides and forum posts trying to get up to speed and keep getting overwhelmed with the details. I'm a newbie to OC'ing and really just want to stay one, but also don't want to waste the money I've spent.

One problem I do have is that my RAM speed is 1063 (don't remember exact number) not 2000. I even know why, I've read that I need to OC to get the higher speeds to be available. I'll be happy with 1600.

Is Easytune6 ok to trust, or should I make changes in the BIOS and work my way up like what alot of guides talk about. I really want to make this as easy as possible. This is strictly a gaming machine. Should I just leave everything a stock speeds? Will I even notice a difference upping my CPU and RAM speeds at this point (3.3GHz to say 4GHz, RAM 1063 to 1600)?

Windows 7 64-bit
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 580 superclocked
HD: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 ATA Device 1T

Manx

Last edited:
Well lucky for you you've got yourself the correct CPU to do that with... The 2500K has a unlocked multiplier. Stock its 3.3Ghz.. 100 x 33 = 3300. So just by changing the x33 multiplier to lets say x36, you just did a simple OC of 300 Mhz, and will boot up as a 3.6Ghz CPU. With the correct heat sink, such as the Hyper 212+, you could easily get that to 4.5Ghz with a little help from the guys here, I'm sure of it... However will not be as simple as just changing the multiplier... :thup: Good luck

I should have listed it, that is that heat sink I have.

AWESOME! The RAM is 2000 Mhz too? Just for fun, horse around with that multiplier.. I would try what I said. Making a simple change like that without changing voltage is huge. You'll may go to x40 with out changing crap, and be happy...

Download Prime95, SuperPI and a few 3D benchmarking tools. (3d mark series stuff) to prove your OC is stable.

Check out this thread for those programs... You may not want to become a benching team member, but this thread will help you...
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643867

Well I set the Multiplyer to 40, set Ram to 1600. Temp's look good so far. Made no voltage changes.
3dmark 11 P6439
PCMark Vantage 9593

3dmark fails if ram is set to 1833

What do you think of these numbers ?

Last edited:
Back