• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

connection time outs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bonka

I've been having reoccuring problems with my Shaw@Home cable connection.

My connection is shared between 2 computers using ICS. My computer is the host. Anyways, at random times, my connection will feel like dying on me and is almost ALWAYS fixed when I turn off my modem for a couple of minutes, and plug it back in again to reset it.

As well, whenever my connection dies and I goto ipconfig, I regularly find that my ip address info for the host is always messed up and not the assigned information. By the way, I'm on win2k.

Anyways, I called up Shaw and they "claim" that they don't allow networking, which I know is all bull. I'm not sure what to look at. These problems just came up one day so I've got the slightest clue.

I have one theory, and it deals with one of my nics (the one connected to the modem). It's some D-Link nic that I got back in 1998 when I first got cable. It's old school; even has a coxial outlet. Anyways, maybe that could be the problem?? My computer is OCed but my PCI is only 32MHz, which is almost near spec.

Help!

Bonka said:
I've been having reoccuring problems with my Shaw@Home

Need you say more haha... Just kidding i've had those problems too with shaw so I just got rid of it because it sucked...but I know some other people with Shaw and they had no problems at all.. So I dunno..?

Swap the nics in your machines. If you lose connection on the machine with the suspect nic but not the other.....ya get my drift?

Back