• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LurkinWilli

My lap top, kind of confused by this I look at my display adapters and it shows two from ATI there both Mobility Radeon HD but ones a 4200 series and ones a 5650. I am very new with ATI & AMD. So just some input would be great! pic below. the lap top is no slug but, still very confused by the two of them? thank you for any help

Attachments

• lap.png
    lap.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 61
Hi, welcome to the forums!

If I recall correctly, the 4200 is an integrated graphics chip, built into the chipset on the motherboard. The 5650 is a much faster chip, and will be put in as a discrete GPU. I suspect the laptop will switch between the two: for tasks that don't need much in the way of graphics, such as office tasks, it will use the less power hungry 4200. If you play games, it will switch to the 5650 which will perform better at the cost of battery life.

Check the documentation that came with the machine - if it mentions graphics switching that's why there are two chips present. It shouldn't cause any issues as both chips will use the same drivers and software.

Hope this helps :)

Back