• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are my temps so high? (SK6, Athlon XP 2000)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

michaelnyden

I have an abit KR7A and a thermalright SK6 all copper heatsink, with artic silver III on the core of my athlon xp 2000...on top of all that is one 60x20mm sunon 5400rpm fan...then, I have one 20x20mm sunon fan on the chipset heatsink...then two sunon 80mm fans (one output and one input) and the card cooler xt (two 120mm fans covering the motherboard)...after all this, my system temp hovers around 30C and my cpu temp around 50-60C when idle...what is wrong...I have a nice sized case, and all the cables are zip tied together and out of the way...what gives, what am I doing wrong...my system temp is ok, but what is with my cpu temp?

This worries me because I have an SK6 w/ 26 CFM YS Tech fan that I haven't installed yet. A 30 degree difference between system and cpu temps is worse than the stock heatsink!

Things you CAN check:

1) Is the HSF seated properly? No gaps? Important is that the "_/" of the HSF meets up with the "bump" of the socket.
2) Is the clip installed the right way around? If you've installed the clip the wrong way around, the "v" part applies pressure not on the core, but somewhere on the side of the chip, which could, in theory have a #1 effect, reducing effectiveness of the HSF.

Good luck!

Francis

Something is definately wrong. Take your heatsink off and first make sure that the AS3 had made a complete connection on the HSF. But more than anything stare at every tiny little part of the assembly until you come up with what may have happened and then carefully try to reinstall it the right way....trial and error, its great isn't it?

good luck

I've also got an SK-6 with the sunon fan on it. And with two case fans - one intake and one out my XP1700 is it 49c idle and 32c system. I have no clue why yours would be so hot.

Ive got more or less same set-up sk6 but with 7000rpm delta mounted ,got the "coolercase extreme" from o/c uk ,4x120m fans and 2x80 m , i get 38 idle and 40-42 loaded with my xp1800+ unlocked to 1900 with the fsb also moved to 140 no probs ,must be the way u mounted the hsf or room temp maybe ?

kr7a raid 6n bios 1.85 v core ultra setting in bios
xp1800 unlocked to 1900 runnin 140 fsb stable -sk6 delta 7000rpm
elsa gf3 runnin thermaltake strips + cpu cooler fitted to main chip 240 clock 540 mem
3x 256 crucial 2100 cas 2 -4 bank interleave
s/blaster audigy plyr
3 com net card
win xp pro
"coolercase extreme" 4x120 2 x80 mm fans run by digidoc case soundproofed modded by myself

Regards coolman

Back