• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disconnecting every few minutes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exige

Okay, so here's what's happening.

I just moved to a new apartment, I transferred my comcast service over here. So I dragged my modem and all my equipment over to the new place. Some guy came this morning hooked everything up and bam. Internet.

I was happy. For about 5 minutes, when I got disconnected. Then I was disconnected every 10-15 minutes after that for about four hours when I finally called them back.

Nothing has changed on my network... or so I thought. I have the same modem, the same router, same computers, same xbox, same service all hooked up to this. The only thing different is the cables, since I have like 53289443 of them I just grabbed some and plugged it all in.

So the tech came back out, and he instantly blamed it on the modem. I was okay with that, since it was kind of old and had some temp issues occasionally anyways. So he replaced it. We sat around talking for a few minutes and the internet disconnected again. He said, "Okay well it isn't the modem then, it's got to be the cables or the router." He also had tested the signals and said they were perfectly in spec. I had tested the signals before he got there, and they dead center in the recommended settings on the Comcast page.

So, he swapped out the Cat cable that was plugged from the modem to the router. We sat around again, and about 5 minutes later he got up and handed me my cable and told me to throw it away, it was the source of the problem. I said thanks for come out and just set it on the counter. I was beaming and walked into my office to see my computer disconnected from the internet. Went to the living room, the xbox was disconnected. Good game.

So, for some reason it's lasting a little longer, it goes 20-30 minutes now without disconnecting. I also found some buttons in my router settings, "DHCP Release" and "DHCP Renew" when I click release, and then renew my internet comes back almost instantly. But I don't want to keep having to do it every 30 minutes. But because that's all router settings, I'm assuming that it is indeed the router with the issue.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS2

Any help would be so appreciated.

Last edited:
Have you pinged anything immediately after it disconnects? If not, ping your routers internal IP address first; if you get replies, then your infrastructure connecting your hosts is probably good and your router is likely working. After that, try pinging/accessing your modem. If you can get into it, then the cable connecting the router to the modem is probably good.

Back