• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 16 freezes and will not resume. . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuvToGame

Hey team (and anyone else will to help out)

I'm still trying to iron out the wrinkles with core 16 on my 5870--transitioning to folding isn't easy for an AMD fanboy:D

The problem: anytime I run a game while core 16 gpu folding in the background under v7, the folding simply freezes. This might be fine if it would resume when I exited my game, but v7 doesn't resume, and requires a complete restart of fahcontrol and loses all work up to the last save. Restart fahcontrol and v7 thens resumes without a problem--at least no problem discovered yet.

I'm on the fence on folding on my 5870; this problem of freezing may be enough to quit using core 16 altogether as it cuts my smp PPD almost in half. This is true I've done numerous calculations and verified this. Nevertheless, it would still be worth folding both smp and core 16 in the fall/winter as it nets me an increase of 50% overall PPD over the smp alone if I can figure out a workaround for this problem.

You may well be the only one. Running v7 you can pause the WU while you game and resume when you are done. Have you tried that?

You may well be the only one. Running v7 you can pause the WU while you game and resume when you are done. Have you tried that?

Yes, that is what I have been doing--when I remember; and this is a big aggravation . But it gets worse, I also now seem to be experiencing these freezes when I'm away from the pc. The only way that I know something is up is when I pour over the logs to see if the time stamps are current. The core 16 freezes at XX%, and sometimes if I'm lucky Windows pops up a "fahcore 16 has stopped working: cancel or close" message. But most of the time my machine sits wasting time until I check the logs or processor loads for a tell.

I'm still at it; trying to make the problem reproducible without success. Some think that it may be related to Cat 11.x drvrs, idk. But rolling back drvrs is a no go for this machine as I need the 11.7+ drvrs to run certain software titles.

I'm starting to think I maybe too far ahead of the curve on this one.

Back