• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1866Mhz to 2133Mhz safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Customizor

Registered
So i have A-data Plus V2.0 2GB 1866Mhz 8-8-8-24
and i have ASUS rampage III Formula MB
on my MB after 1866Mhz frequency for the ram the next option is 2133 and higher, im new to overclocking so is there a way to fine tune this and increase it by a smaller amount?
and if not will setting to 2133Mhz cause any permanent damage if it fails?
i already set timings to 7-7-7-21 and everything is running smooth!

You have some nice sticks of ram there, if I'm thinking of the sticks you actually have, that is...

They are Hyper IC and are known to do great speeds and perform very well. I'm sure if you add some volts to your sticks, you can push them from 1866MHz to 2133MHz if you want. Be careful though, Hyper IC ram gets used to higher voltage and will eventually need more and more volts to stay stable.

EDIT: Let me know how those sticks clock... 1866 won't cut it for me, so I need more like 2133+ with great timings. I'm interested in buying a set, so if yours turn out to be awesome clockers, I may have to jump on this :D

Last edited:
yeah thats them they are very nice indeed!
It was a complete fail increasing to 2133, my computer booted but my screen stayed black, i pressed clr cmos button i have and that reset my settings so i could boot normal again! phew. i diddnt increase voltage though, would that have been why? they were set to auto.
the sticks they they are 1.55-1.75v and run at 1.65 for me.

there is also a 2200Mhz version of these ram but i couldnt find them anywhere! these were hard enough to find.

umm wtf are u using to cool ur CPU if its at 6Ghz?!?

The extreme benching guys tend to use either dry ice (-78 C) or liquid nitrogen (-196C) to cool their chips. There are videos on the front page quite often, and there's a benching team section (at the very top of the forum).

Very nice sticks of RAM that you have there! As Benny said you should be able to get it to 2133 but they will need more voltage.

To try fine-tuning it you will want to be using your bclk and try using a higher memory divider. When you are doing this you should drop down your CPU multiplier to make sure that it isn't a limiter to the bclk you are running.

A good 3 step guide to overclocking your CPU and RAM is here: http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

It was written by one of our own, and is a great starting point to finding a solid overclock.

Last edited:
The extreme benching guys tend to use either dry ice (-78 C) or liquid nitrogen (-196C) to cool their chips. There are videos on the front page quite often, and there's a benching team section (at the very top of the forum).

Yep. That is on Dry Ice cooling for my 2500k. It was used to do benchmarking runs. :)

Let us know how those sticks work out if you get them. There's some on Amazon and I'd love to pick up a set for benching :D

switching the timings from my set 7-7-7-21 back to auto is letting me run these at 2133Mhz right now, but the auto timings are crap! 10-15-15-31 lol will be trying a few lower settings and maybe higher voltage next

switching the timings from my set 7-7-7-21 back to auto is letting me run these at 2133Mhz right now, but the auto timings are crap! 10-15-15-31 lol will be trying a few lower settings and maybe higher voltage next

Wow... 10-15-15?!?!?! That's a lot higher than I expected... :-/

Was that stock voltage? Try for higher voltage and see what happens.

i am now at 8-11-11-26, google chrome keeps messing up, cause of this? i went to 8-10-10-24 and windows failed to start. that was at 1.75v

i am now at 8-11-11-26, google chrome keeps messing up, cause of this? i went to 8-10-10-24 and windows failed to start. that was at 1.75v

Damn... I really expected more out of those sticks, but that's because I thought they were truly HyperIC chips. I was discussing these sticks in the Benching Team Discussion Lounge and it turns out that these sticks are likely BBSE...

Great sticks? Yes. HyperIC chips? Probably not.

yeah i ended up bluescreening running 9-9-9-21 but i bet if i add more Voltage it could do better, as 1.75 is the reccomended voltage so nothing extreme there. this is all new computer for me though so i dont want to frazzle anything just yet

yeah i ended up bluescreening running 9-9-9-21 but i bet if i add more Voltage it could do better, as 1.75 is the reccomended voltage so nothing extreme there. this is all new computer for me though so i dont want to frazzle anything just yet

It's a X58 platform so when you notice problems with stability then try to set a bit higher QPI/VTT or IOH voltages. Many users had problems to make stable 2100+ ( some even lower ) on X58 and a lot depends from memory controller. I don't know how it's running on i7 980. Generally gulftowns are clocking better.
I don't think that you will have any problems running these sticks up to 1.8V. Most "older" ADatas were rated 1.55-1.75V for both Elpida and PSC chips even that PSC are not scalling good above 1.7V. Xtreme series were also on Elpida BASE/BBSE and were rated at 1.6-1.8V.

At a DRAM voltage of 1.76V, QPI/DRAM Core voltage should be set to at least 1.26V to keep a maximum 0.5 voltage differential between the two settings (1.76 - 1.26 = 1.50). With 6GB of RAM installed in a triple-channel config. at that high of a DRAM frequency, like Woomack suggested you'll need to supply even higher VTT (QPI/DRAM Core) for stability. Asus normally requires greater VTT than other manufacturer's X58 boards, so I would start at 1.30-1.35V w/ the DRAM voltage at 1.76V and work my way up.

Nice, will try that when I get in. Thanks for the tips guys!
I've not done much overclocking so I diddnt know I needed to keep a balance

I have some Corsair Vengeance 4Gbs x2 @1866Mhz with timings of 9-10-9-27-2t
Can I clock it to 2133Mhz+ in a safe-easy way?
BTW I had to rise already the V input from 1.5v to 1.55v because of memory related BSODs
Also, how much will that cut the lifespan of the RAM sticks?

Oh wow I didn't even know you could overclock ram!! Do you do it in the bios or through a program like a gpu?

Back