• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.1 Speakers to mobo and headphones to sound card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OHerman

Good morning to everyone, first of all i want to say that i am very glad to post for first time after months of being a silent reader of this forum. I usually read many threads about a topic of my interest looking forward to answers. But today was not that case because i couldnt find answers anywhere, when thinking about what audio solution for my system would fit my needs.

The reason i post here is because it concerns my Mothoerboard though it is not a specific question about it. I´m buying the Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers as an overall solution and i plan to plug it directly to the motherboard (Asus Maximus Iv Genez). But something i really like to do is to hear music through headphones (Sennheiser HD 25-1 II) every now and then, thus i was planning to buy a Asus Essence ST too.

MY QUESTION IS: Can i plug 5.1 Speakers to the mobo and the headphones to the SoundCard? How can i alternate between them?

Sorry if this is not the place to be asking this, feel free to suggest other alternative,

Sorry if my english gives you trouble,

Thanks in advance,

Ussually its one or the other. If you get a sound card I would advise you disable the onboard sound in the BIOS to avoid conflicts.

I would also recommend that you just stick to the onboard sound. The Signal to Noise is more than suffiecent for the sound quality thoes speakers can produce. There are two upsides to doing this... 1, you dont have to buy a sound card (that you don't need) and 2, You can hook up the speakers to the back of the computer and use the front audio ports on the case for the head phones. The sound drivers allow you to configure the output such that when a device such as head phones are connected to the front that the sound is cut off to the speakers hooked up at the back. You can configure this in many other wyas as well....

+1 to King107's suggestion.

Windows 7 also has very good sound control options by default, and you'll be able to configure your sound system to do pretty much anything I can imagine you wanting to do.

Or have both connected and use the "Sound" Dialog in Control Panel to switch between the two. As mentioned above, Windows 7 and on-board sound are not bad at this sort of thing.

Thank you for your replys, save the money from a sound card and trying the onboard sound in first place with the solution you have proposed seems the way to go.

Many thanks guys.

Back