• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant Figure this out..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aligndahouse

I am trying to overclock my old q6600 to 3ghz. For some reason, I can't get it to work. When I mess with the settings, The PC will restart but nothing shows up on the screen, I get no display. After resetting the cmos all is back to default...

da881gztyge2.jpg

Is there something I am not doing right?

MSI 650 SLI
4 GIGSDDR2
460 GTX 1GIG DDR2
Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
w7 ultimate 64 bit

I think your FSB Clock is way way way too high - 1333*9 = 11997mhz (11.997ghz) - impossible speeds. Try starting out at stock FSB - 266, then slowly work up to higher FSB (about 10 or so at a time, testing for stability after each step, if it doesn't work, try increasing vcore a notch or two and retry). Watch your temperatures and keep them under 75-85C preferably under 100% load (prime95 blend). For 3GHZ you will be looking for 333FSB.

Also, for the CPU voltage, is that supposed to be what it is trying to boot at (.0125v?) or is that supposed to be the increase above stock voltage? I would try putting it on auto first or try 1.25v (I believe the stock voltage varies between 1.2-1.3 depending on the chip).

For some extra reading and tips I highly recommend reading/skimming through the guide we have posted/linked in the stickies:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

It's very very helpful.

Also, what speed is your memory rated for?

Last edited:
Janus, that number is probably quad pumped. That would put it at 333 MHz, which is more sane.

Oh, :rofl:. I haven't seen that in the 4 775 boards that I have used (maybe it's an MSI thing?). lol, in that case, I would look at the vcore, assuming it isn't an offset and is actually trying to boot at 0.0125v.

The one thing that I see is the CPU Voltage...
Unless that figure is an offset; there is no way your PC will start with such low voltage. And going by what the NB Voltage shows it doesn't look like CPU Voltage will be an offset.
When I had my Q6600; I was able to get it ot 3GHz with ease by raising the FSB to the 330ish range (seems you're already there)... and leaving all voltages in AUTO. Once I booted into OS and saw what voltages the board was sending to the CPU I went back to BIOS and worked backwards from there until I found the lowest voltage that it would need to run at 3GHz.

Damit Janus! You've ninjaed me. :sn:

Does the ram speed change when you +/- the FSB speed?
If not, you may be trying to run your ram at 1200mhz or so (266FSB (1066) and 800mhz ram means a multiplier of 1.5, 1333fsb is 333fsb, * 1.5 = 1200mhz ram) Bit much, generally).

what does cpuz show for cpu voltage? i would one up the cpu voltage a bit and then ad one or two notches to the cpu vtt.

Back