• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not sure what section of the forums this thread belongs in, but here it goes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darknecron

Basically, can I us the laptop as a remote control for my desktop PC? I want to be able to use my desktop's hardware while controlling it via the laptop.

If this were to work, I would see my desktop PC's desktop on my laptop, and be able to run the programs on my desktop PC's hard drive, while getting audio / video feed to the laptop.

If I ran a game, then I would be able to see it on my laptop's screen, and whatever controls I input would be relayed to the desktop.

IE: I have a crappy laptop, but a $2500 gaming desktop PC. I would like to play games / edit HD videos while I am in other parts of my house, but my laptop is incapable of doing so. So, I decide to use my laptop as a wireless controller for my desktop (using the concept from above). Now I can play BF3 (DO WANT) on my 2 ghz core 2 duo laptop with integrated graphics, because all of the processing is being done on my desktop; my laptop simply displays the video / audio it is sent via my home network, and relays the controls I input back to my desktop PC.

I know that the OnLive gaming console uses a similar concept; using a server to do the computing, while video / audio is sent back to the console and controls go the other direction.

IS THIS POSSIBLE???

In my experience remote viewing software is not good at video or gaming. I have used the windows remote desktop client, vnc, logmein, teamviewer and I few others that i can not think of their names.

Give it a try and see, but normally they don't do well with more complex tasks.

Back