• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading...Suggestions Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

I have an EVGA GTX 470 SC.

Good card, I've had it for a year and a half but it runs loud and hot in my Lian Li mini tower.

I have 1 23" monitor with a resolution of 1680 X 1050.

I'm looking at the GTX 5XX series.

If I want a card that will play current and future games on close-to-max or max settings what should I get?

I would like something that runs cool and quiet.

Listing your budget would be incredibly helpful. ;)

That said, 580 is the best single GPU card out now and is frankly overkill for your resolution. I would almost just get a better cooler for your card with that res, or maybe 560ti.

Well I don't really have a budget.

So, a GTX 560Ti would be able to max out settings on this system and monitor as opposed to a GTX 570?

In a few months I may also be getting a bigger monitor.

You can see my review of the 560ti on the front page (or the web for that matter) and see how it performs. Of course, a 570 is better than a 560ti.

If you do get a monitor with a higher resolution then you will need a better graphics card.

Someone else might need to correct me on the next thing I say as I know less about the current i7's. But as your system stand it would be able to take full advantage of a 580 in that it would not bottleneck it that bad. Your PSU should handle a 580 also.

With that said if noise is bothering you a new 580 with stock cooler will be about as loud. So either buy a new 580 with aftermarket cooling or get and upgraded cooler for your card.

I hope that helps.

...if a first gen i7 bottlenecks on a gtx 570 or 580, something is WRONG with that situation, the 570 i think would be a good step up from the 470 without introducing too much heat...i think the 560Ti would be about as quick as a gtx470, but i could be wrong.

So is everyone thinking that with me getting a bigger monitor soon that I should just go with a GTX 570 or 580? I'm thinking the new monitor will be a 27" LED.

Inches do not matter, its hte resolution, which is likely still 1920x1080/1200. If you can afford a 570, get it.

So is everyone thinking that with me getting a bigger monitor soon that I should just go with a GTX 570 or 580? I'm thinking the new monitor will be a 27" LED.

Pixels matter, as EarthDog said.

A GTX570 will get you going well and will play anything you throw at it extremely well. If you can find it in your budget, grab one of them... Or two? ;)

A GTX 570 should be fine for you. I have two of them, I am using only one monitor but when playing games in SLI it absolutely demolishes them. I went with two because it saves me from having to upgrade for a few years, which is nice.

But a 570 will definitely smash anything you throw at it, just like the 580. Plus, you can OC a 570 and get just about the same performance as a 580 for $100 less. I had my first 570 OC'd and it go 2 FPS less than a 580, a stock 570 usually is 10-14 FPS off a stock 580.

Plus, like bennoculus said, later on down the road you can add another, but you'd have to upgrade your PSU to at least a 750W, 850W would put you in the safe zone for a second one.

Me, personally, would go for the GTX570 DCUII. It's core is probably binned more so than a standard reference GTX570, thus allowing for more overclocking headroom.

I'd go with the eVGA Classified, but that's me. The ASUS and Gigabyte cards are also great.

Like bennoculus said, you'd probably have some good headroom with the ASUS if you're into OC'ing. ASUS cards always OC very well.

If you're not really into OC'ing then go with the eVGA GTX 570 Classified.

Most aftermarket solutions are more quiet than the reference cooler. Which one is the most quiet, who knows. Bigger fan, spins slower moves more air.

Back