• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

harddrive TTL unplugged

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I believe a magnetic hard drive has nearly infinite data retention when unpowered, assuming you keep it safe from damage and larger magnets. A SSD has a limited time to remain unplugged, in the factor of years, but not permanent. Why are you wondering??

It isn't "nearly infinite". The drives uses magnetism to retain data and that does "rot" over time. I'm unsure how long this is, but I wouldn't store data I needed on a drive for more than a year or two.

If you are going to frequently writing data to the disk, using a hard drive will probably be easier. Otherwise, get good DVDs and a good burner. If you store it in a dry cool place, it should easily last 10+ years.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=132680
http://www.backupcentral.com/mr-bac...reliable-than-disk-for-long-term-storage.html

Last edited:
yea i have used dvds. burning 500gbs to dvds takes awhile tho. hard drives are cheaper then dvds now, unless you get the really cheap dvds. has anyone tried storing a HD a long time ? maybe blue ray is the best option.

I read you should spin the drive up ever few weeks/month. here is a thought , a hard drive that has never been taken out of the plastic wrap, it has an expiration date like a steak or eggs a bit longer though i would expect.

I read you should spin the drive up ever few weeks/month. here is a thought , a hard drive that has never been taken out of the plastic wrap, it has an expiration date like a steak or eggs a bit longer though i would expect.

Yes although I have never checked the external writing regarding shelf life of a hard drive in its' original shipping bag. But once it is out of that bag...well I would think it is all bets off.

So far non-rewritable CD/DVD media are the best bets for the average consumer with a life of about 20 years when not exposed to ultraviolet light. Flourescent lights included as a no/no.

Back